Bumpy surface to smooth surface - would this work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bumpy surface to smooth surface - would this work

After getting my airdam, the bumper trim piece above my bumper needs repainting because I want it to be smooth. Now, I've seen Ranger guys make the bumpy surface smooth, but I'm not sure how, but I was thinking that you could coat it with filler primer until it was smooth, and then paint it. Do you guys think this would work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sand it?

are we talking about the textured plastic? i would think sand it or find some way to remove it without being conspicuous

Yes textured plastic.

You sand the textured palstic too far it gets " hairy " ( from experiance ) I don't know how the other guys do it but sanding it probabally is not your best mode of accomplishing that.

I know that you can't sand it, that's why I suggested "filling" the voids to make it smooth.

I would probably fill it and then sand it.

Yeah...aren't there a filler for plastics?? If so, get it and fill it. If there aren't any plastic fillers, regular fillers won't adhere to the plastic. I'm not 100% sure on this. I guess MONMIX can shine some light on this subject.

I thought about doing this on my side mirrors or my whiper cowl, but dont like th ethought of it being bumpy like that.. lemme know how it turns out...

I think the filler idea would work best personally.. but thats not from any research

or what you could do it put a good many base coats on and sand those smooth, then the paint would have a smooth surface to sit on.

or a thin layer of Fiberglass

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer
I'm not 100% sure on this. I guess Kevin can shine some light on this subject.

Keep in mind every body here thinks my name is MONMIX.

Yeah there IS filler that works on plastic , but over such a large surface it likely will not look too pretty.

Fiberglass will never work. You are putting a rigid filler on a flexable surface. One tap on a parking curb and that sucker will crack up.

Many coats of base might work. A nice filler primer might work as well , but that all will be a lot of work no matter.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I knew there's a plastic filler.

MONMIX, I edited my post. Take your name out on yoru post. Sorry about that. :)

LIGHTLY, and i mean LIGHTLY, sand it and spray it with filler primer. monmix is right, it doesnt take much sanding to get it "hairy" (i also know from exp.) it may take alot of stages (sand/paint/sand/paint etc.) but this way it will come out slick.

dont use fiberglass resin. as stated b4, it will not work. it will proly "spiderweb" just putting it back on the bumper.

My two cents worth are as follows:

Get the bumper and make a molding, then with the molding make a bumper out of fiberglass, then paint the fiberglass bumper and pray that you never hit a curb in your life :p

Now b4 you start making fun please note im not serious about it and i really dont want anyone getting mad about it ;)

Heh...I should've thought this out before but the Eddie Bauer models are painted so it's primered, not plastic stuff like the XLT models. Maybe you can find a wrecked Eddie Bauer and get the top part??

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer
Heh...I should've thought this out before but the Eddie Bauer models are painted so it's primered, not plastic stuff like the XLT models. Maybe you can find a wrecked Eddie Bauer and get the top part??

Good thinking.

Haha...bad thinking. I have an Eddie Bauer and it just popped in my head.

Back