• Register Today It's free!

Burning Oil

Miranda123

Reaction score
City, State
Olympia, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I have a 2020 ST Explorer, just hit 3,000 miles I had it in the shop for a completely different issue than what I am leaving with. When they were doing the safety check to release the car they noticed I have burned 2 quarts of oil. They have confirmed no leaks and were waiting on what Ford recommends they do. They have asked me to do a oil consumption test and bring it back when I put 1,000 miles on it. I have several concerns of my own, the service people have told me how they feel. I don't usually drive often, so to put 1,000 miles will take forever it also concerns me that I have burned that much oil. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has had an issue or any feedback, or any questions I should be certain to ask. I am told my car is ready to be picked up I want to be sure I do my homework first

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2020 ST Explorer, just hit 3,000 miles I had it in the shop for a completely different issue than what I am leaving with. When they were doing the safety check to release the car they noticed I have burned 2 gallons of oil. They have confirmed no leaks and were waiting on what Ford recommends they do. They have asked me to do a oil consumption test and bring it back when I put 1,000 miles on it. I have several concerns of my own, the service people have told me how they feel. I don't usually drive often, so to put 1,000 miles will take forever it also concerns me that I have burned that much oil. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has had an issue or any feedback, or any questions I should be certain to ask. I am told my car is ready to be picked up I want to be sure I do my homework first

The Explorer holds 6 quarts (1.5 gallons) of oil, no way you burned 2 gallons of oil.

I'd check your dipstick before you leave to see where it is at, perhaps take a pic and then check once a week every week and compare (choose the same day) and monitor it.

Sorry quarts. No clue why I put gallon.

I have a 2020 ST Explorer, just hit 3,000 miles I had it in the shop for a completely different issue than what I am leaving with. When they were doing the safety check to release the car they noticed I have burned 2 quarts of oil. They have confirmed no leaks and were waiting on what Ford recommends they do. They have asked me to do a oil consumption test and bring it back when I put 1,000 miles on it. I have several concerns of my own, the service people have told me how they feel. I don't usually drive often, so to put 1,000 miles will take forever it also concerns me that I have burned that much oil. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has had an issue or any feedback, or any questions I should be certain to ask. I am told my car is ready to be picked up I want to be sure I do my homework first

The 5.0s in the F150 have had the same problem. If Ford treats it the same if it shows consumption after their testing they will most likely replace the engine. That is what they do for F150s.

Welcome to the Forum Miranda.:wave:
A safety check already? Does anyone know for sure that it wasn't 2 quarts low to begin with?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Miranda.:wave:
A safety check already? Does anyone know for sure that it wasn't 2 quarts low to begin with?

Peter
Anytime your vehicle goes in they are supposed to check all the fluid levels and what not. Some do it others just check the box. Just like the last dealer that changed the oil in my truck said the oil was in the hash marks of the dip stick but I know it was below because I checked it right before I dropped it off. Now I know to take it to a different dealership for work to be done.

Mine burned off right at a quart at the first oil change at 3500miles. It's nothing to be alarmed about, yet.

I'm sure you've been having gas pedal fun, boost, ring tension to reduce friction and a brand new engine are all contributing factors. Chill

I just burned 2 quarts in 1900 miles but I'm guessing this is just because the rings are still breaking in. If the situation doesn't improve I'll take it in, but not concerned at this point.

That definitely doesn't sound right to me. I don't recall any new vehicle I've had burn that much, if any oil. I just checked my Aviator and although it only has 700 miles on it, the oil level is right at the full mark.

Peter

My oil level did not change at first oil change at 7000. I'd be very concerned if I lost a quart in the first few thousand miles.

I just burned 2 quarts in 1900 miles but I'm guessing this is just because the rings are still breaking in. If the situation doesn't improve I'll take it in, but not concerned at this point.

Update. 700 miles later and the dipstick hasn't shown any more oil consumption. Have had about a teaspoon of gunk show up in the catch can, glossy and dark in color, smells like gasoline. No sign of water in the can like some people have seen. Seems like my break-in is complete. (btw, manual does say that oil consumption can take up to 3000 miles to stabilize)

Wondering how OP is doing?

Back