Burns SAS thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well you have the donor frame....i think your set. Good luck on it. Gonna be one sweet truck. When your dealing with the front steering setup can you tell us how it goes. Thats my biggest concern in a swap(im trying to learn as much as i can before i do mine :p )

that is my biggest worry i just will worry with it when it gets time. but i still need to choose my tires so i can have them during the swap

any idea on brands?

no i dont i just want a 37 or so
i am lookin at spendin less that 900 on the tires so im not sure i can find them

what color springs are you going with? yellow should give you the most flex :p

plans sound good. gears sound about right too if you plan to drive it regularly still. if it's gonna see a lot of trail use, maybe consider 5.13s... then again, I'm all for low gears

the coils i thought were all the same just pouder coated a diffrent. but the gears i was planning to get 5.13s but i found the correct way to choose the gears to put u about back to the stock gear ratio with the bigger tires and it came out to 4.86 but u cant get those so im gettin 4.88

Burns said:
the coils i thought were all the same just pouder coated a diffrent. but the gears i was planning to get 5.13s but i found the correct way to choose the gears to put u about back to the stock gear ratio with the bigger tires and it came out to 4.86 but u cant get those so im gettin 4.88

With the 5 speed go 5.13. Remember that the 37's will weigh more than a stock tire so the extra gear will help. You will still be able to run down the highway at a decent speed and get fair milage too. I can get 16-17 if I keep the speed at 70. And you will like the 5.13 more off road too.

Burns said:
whats ur rpm at 70

2800 or so. I usually set the cruise at 3000 RPM which is about 73-74mph.

ok i think i have decided on the 37inch iroks but that might change

Have you considered some rod end radius arms for a bit more flex?

well i was thinkin of something like that but im not sure

id also vote lower gears, 5.13's would be better if your gonna use it primarily offroad. If its still gonna be a DD, then 4.88's wouldnt be a bad choice, but IMO 37's just arnt a good choice for a DD. Im lookin at 35 MTR's or Boggers with 4.88's in my swap and its prolly gonna be a DD. However therookie rides 35's with 5.13's and swears by them and its a DD as well. Basically, gear to suit your needs.

Burns said:
ok i think i have decided on the 37inch iroks but that might change

I just got my 37" IROKs today

Attachments

• IM001449 (Small).JPG
    IM001449 (Small).JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,535

33's BFG MT's

it will be a dd so i am gonna suffer i want the 5.13s but i cant afford the gas. when it becomes a full off road X ill put 5.13s in it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think i just got a idea on how big it will be. lol i am on 33s now and i am gonna love 37s

Back