Burns SAS thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ok i have got the money from my ins so it is time to start. on monday i will be taking it to the shop to have the frame fixed. and after i get it back ill have my d44 and 9inch ready to go in. i hope to have my tires here and ready to go on then too. i plan to have it done in three weeks after i get it back

Burns said:
it will be a dd so i am gonna suffer i want the 5.13s but i cant afford the gas. when it becomes a full off road X ill put 5.13s in it

i had 4.56's and 35's then i went to 5.13's and 35's and my gas mileage changed 1-2mpg tops. it struggled pretty bad with 4.56's.(manual tranny) i hated it. definitely not enough power atleast not for me. now with 5.13's and 35's i have the power back and its not struggling to move it. and gas mileage still isn't that bad. u want a 37" or so tire so u will want 5.13's imo. in fact i think u'd be better off gas mileage wise with 5.13's and that size tire than u would be with 4.88's. jmho

Burns said:
what coils did you use on ur sas

wild horse 5.5" early bronco springs

well thats good but now i am at a stand still cause im lookin at monday before it gets the frame started on but i need to get my coils and radius arms in

ok well it will now be this friday or next monday when i get it back. when it gets back i hope that it will all go well because a lot of planning has already begun

once again the progress has been pushed back the frame shop will not be done with it till the middle or end of this week so that sucks. but i have the d44 and 9inch out of thr parts truck plus i have got my spare 4.0 and might do a motor swap while im at it. the tires i have not got but they will be bought in the end of this week

Burns said:
the tires i have not got but they will be bought in the end of this week

so did u decide which ones your going with?

its is looking good on the super swamper tsl but i might try the boggers. the tsl just will do better on the road and i have to look at that for now.

i found something out. if i use the radius arms, 5.5 inch coils, and the bushing set from whildhorses4x4.com i will spend about 700 dollars

Burns said:
its is looking good on the super swamper tsl but i might try the boggers. the tsl just will do better on the road and i have to look at that for now.

buy both ;) nah the boggers would be awesome but 10,000 mi on a set is bad. the tsl's can get u 2 or 3 times as much mileage. u want the 36x12.50 tsl radial or the 36x14.50(35.6tall 11.5 tread) or the 38x15.50 (37.1" tall 11.8" tread) actually i just ordered the 38x15.50's for my truck cuz it seemed like the perfect size. pretty much a wider version of 37" tire...

well i am pretty sure i might wait till i get the swap done and then decide

ok well today i got the the radius arms, coils, and all the front bushings. i hope to have it all done in about two or three weeks

it now has a start

with the radius arms, coils, and bushings on the way i still needed all the brackets to make it work. so i got out the torch and went to town. some things just un bolted and some required a little heat. all the axles are out and watin on a new home. i have deciede to now change the gears yet i plan to leave it on 33's for now because i want to see about the tire size and i dont want to gear it till i have the tires. it might look odd but i want to get the gears and tires at the same time.
here is the donor truck which at one time hade everything on it
100_1289.jpg

the rear leafs
100_1286.jpg

rear end just needs to be cleaned up and a good look over
rear-end.jpg

all the front brackets and the front end
front-and-mounts.jpg

the only thing i really need to make it another set of front shock mounts because the radius arm have a double shock set up on them

wow those leaves are knarly looking. Evreything else looks great.

Sweet. Not sure if you know this, but if you want to run stock style steering now, you can use the F150 tie rod with the Explorer draglink. ;) Can't wait to see it started. :)

i had read that about the steering and i was goona try that. all of the parts i have used so far have been kinda free. the truck was in the family and my dad got it a few years ago for parts and now im using it up im hopein to get it back tomm and then i can get something done

well i have decided to put a theme with my sas build up. so the thought was to do a jurassic park theme but there is a state trooper explere in sparta so i am gonna do a paint scheme of the state trooper X. i have a full working clear light bar that will be goin on it plus i might add some more stuff

frame hold up

:fire: the frame shop is taking much more time than first planned this is all i know. it is on the frame machine and they are just talking about it for now. :fire:

Back