Burns SAS thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

What the last two guys said. I moved my D44 up about 2-3" when I did my SAS.

Mine is about 1.5" forward.

the center of the hub is exactly in the middle of the finder. so i think its is gonna all be ok

As the tire goes up and down it also moves back. I'm sure you'll be fine but you'll probably need to trim some of the fender. Mine is not moved forward and with my wristed arm and that extra flex it rubs the back of the fender pretty good.

well im getting some fiberglass finders from trckmagic and they have been trimmed on the end closer to the body so i am thinking that it will be a trimable problem

good that is what i though and as of now i am pretty set on the radius arm mounts. before the hubs were pretty far over half way on the center of the fender and now we just moved it back about two inches and the hub is directly in the center of the fender

it rained all weekend down here. however the coil bucket and shock mount spacers were made during this down time. ill have to get some pictures up here today

well the decsion was made tonight that i would just put the stock rear end(8.8) on blocks just to make it level and get in driving condition while i am gearing and rebuilding the ford 9 inch. i should have it drivin with the d44 and ford 8.8 by friday of this week. after i get the 9 inch rebuilt i will tear the rear(8.8) out and get the 9 inch in and get it off blocks with the rear springs off the 78 f-150

i dont think anyone will make fun of you for that decision. sounds like a good idea. is the front full width? that might look a little funny, but WHO CARES!!!! your gonna have a solid axle. pretty sweet dude.

p.s. MORE PICTURES!!!!

ok well it will only be like that for about a week so i can rebuild the 9inch and then i can put in the bigger rear springs and everthing. aslo it is full width

coil buckets

coilbuckets3.jpg
coilbucket2.jpg
coilbucket1.jpg

well my dad did these when i was not home. i was at school. so they turend out really good. he has done a lot of the work because during school he does not work and when he workes i am at home and it is dark. i get a lot done on the weekends

the coil buckets are in and done. the drivers side had to be modified because of the angle of the frame on that side. the other side just went on quite easy. the track bar, radius arm mounts, and the shock towers are left to do. it should be pretty easy to complete. the radius arms just need to be drilled. there is one bolt in eash one and i need four more.

its been awhile since ive chimed in, but your progress seems pretty nice. Looks like your on the homestretch right now.

'97 V8 this is what i did for my steering. i think u had ask when i started so i hope this helps.
steering.jpg

sas.jpg

Back