Burns SAS thread | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks burns. that axle looks purdy

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

sorry, I saw the trackbar and it looked like some kind of wierd inline idler arm

sn0border88 said:
why the idler arm?

i don't see an idler arm, only the track bar behind the drag link

l8r, John :cool:

man that threw me off but im gonnna have to ask what is a idler arm???

search for a diagram for superrunner steering, the system uses a link oppisite the pitman arm to reduce felt bumpsteer, IE a smoother ride.

ok then my mind was in that direction but i didnt really know. i was just lookin at some pics and the tires on it now are 31x10.50x15 and they are way outside the finders. i love it. i want to be on a 37 or 38
tires-out.jpg

wow, that axle looks crazy wide. it will look bad azz with beefy tires onit.

i hope you plan on getting more lift if your going tto fit 38's, i know the whole sawzall thing has been discussed but i think that your gonna rub the top of your fenderwell everytime you even half stuff a tire. not to mention if you dont move it forward your gonna have to almost cut into the door to not rub while turning.

well i was lookin at it just a second a go and i am gonna change my coil bucket design to get about four more inches out of the lift. it is now sitting just a hair higher than it did when it had the super lift kit on it(it was a 5.5inch kit) the coil buckets are way up in there and are huge. i can cut them in half and then that will give me about four more inches and i will prb have to do a body lift also

forgot to add that i am making mine look like the "trail police" so i went out and found this
light1.jpg

sas-front.jpg

i also painted the core support flat black

thats sick man, i like it a lot.

I left my coil bucket full height and still got about 6-8" of lift. I am using BCBroncos 6.5 coil springs just like Kirby N. I plan on running 36" TSLs on the Ranger. I will probably have to trim a little bit, but I like the fact that my truck isn't too tall. I like the idea of minimal lift/maximum tire. Just my .02.....

zainyD said:
I left my coil bucket full height and still got about 6-8" of lift. I am using BCBroncos 6.5 coil springs just like Kirby N. I plan on running 36" TSLs on the Ranger. I will probably have to trim a little bit, but I like the fact that my truck isn't too tall. I like the idea of minimal lift/maximum tire. Just my .02.....

thats what you want pretty much. You see those rock buggies that are winnin a lot, they got 40" tires but are low and basically hugging the rock. With my SAS i plan for the same thing....but i still wanna be higher than everyone else hehe

[QUOTE='97 V8]thats what you want pretty much. You see those rock buggies that are winnin a lot, they got 40" tires but are low and basically hugging the rock. With my SAS i plan for the same thing....but i still wanna be higher than everyone else hehe[/QUOTE]
Good luck with that... ;)

bff916ee.jpg

...and those are his small tires.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

HOLY SHI*!! You had to just go and take my sunshine away didncha!

well my coil buckets are gettin droped with difftent brackets to get them lower.

i am now putting four more inches in the drop of the coil buckets. i am hopein the the tires will not rub when i get it all done

ok well if is officaly on the road as of this mornig. I drove it to school today with the d44 and the ford8.8 in the rear. it looks kinda odd but i dont care. it is very stable(better than i thought it would be) tomm i am gonna put it back on the 33s and then i am makin my drop brackets for the coil buckets so i can get some bigger tires. with the tires i am gonna just get a 36 tsl and i plan to drop to 4.56 gears. i have to get some road drivablity out of it since it is all i have. im in the process of getting some fiberglass finders from a member here and i hope to recive them soon. does anyone have the front and rear extended finders

I'd suggest 4.88s. I've had 4.56 with 35s on the last two trucks and the first one was a daily driver. I wish I could have gone 4.88 with the first one but it was still with the D35. You still will have good road manners and then you'll be geared that much lower for when you do go off-road. My next gear set will be either 5.13 or 5.29, but I'm also going with 37 next and this one is not a daily driver. Jefe has 4.88 and it was his daily driver for a few years.
Just my $.02

Back