Burnt oil/rubber smell coming from under truck and cat smoking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burnt oil/rubber smell coming from under truck and cat smoking

beach

Reaction score
City, State
south florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
Coyote F150
Sorry for two threads posted same time, did that as their different problems.

So finally get everything back together, engine runs super smooth and quiet. Yet upon start up to do coolant flush bunch of white smoke came from the cat and heavy burnt rubber smell. I heard PCV could cause that, but already replaced it. Saw a thread on here about the gasket for the oil pan, could that be it? God I hope not, called a few shops and they all want quite over a grand to do an oil pan gasket on the 5.0 as the engine has to be removed. Gotta be kidding me lol, for what's probably what, a 10 buck gasket.

Here's a vid
http://s146.photobucket.com/user/Su... Uploads/20150516_123800_zpsdts3etcz.mp4.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What EXACTLY did you do to your engine???

I am gonna guess here but from the video you have a passenger side valve cover leaking...The origin of the main body of the smoke I believe is too far back to be the oil pan or the rear main seal leaking... But they could be leaking too...

Or it COULD be a leak from the trans oil dipstick tube or maybe just spilled oil that hasn't burned off yet...

This is why I ask what did you do to the engine??? And I gather the truck was not smoking before whatever you did yes???

I am gonna guess here but from the video you have a passenger side valve cover leaking...The origin of the main body of the smoke I believe is too far back to be the oil pan or the rear main seal leaking... But they could be leaking too...

Or it COULD be a leak from the trans oil dipstick tube or maybe just spilled oil that hasn't burned off yet...

This is why I ask what did you do to the engine??? And I gather the truck was not smoking before whatever you did yes???
It actually was smoking before but only a little from the cat, had meant to post that before to figure out what it is. Something was dripping on it. But dripping very slowly. And only when left sitting usually. Since I've been working in the truck in spare time it's sat for over a month without starting so whatever dripped, dripped more then usual pry why there was so much smoke this time. Engine work was just all new hoses, some other parts like pullies, compressor clutch and coil, belt, oil change and filter etc.

Def white smoke and rubber burning type smell. Most of it went away after running the engine for awhile flushing it and breaking in the new AC compressor clutch, so it seemed to burn off, still smoke from that cat but not as much.

Looking under though, no idea what could be dripping on it. Even while engine running nothing dripped, but there's a coating of whatever dripped on that section of the cat.

So cleaned up with some brake cleaner other day to see if I could notice anything different, I actually don't see anything. I'm going to replace the crank filter under the PCV, read on the Stang sites that the 5.0s are common to leak from the pcv (already replaced) and a bad/clogged filter can cause oil to come out of the gaskets. Read nothing like that on this site, but it's all over every Stang site.

However I noticed this today underneath, what looks like some oil, the other side seems dry. Could have missed it when I cleaned, so gonna do that again and recheck.
_162422_zpsqj0xviji_edit_1432412796298_zpsv0a4yfjc.jpg

Mine leaks in the identical spot. Mine is the PS valve cover gasket though.

Back