• Register Today It's free!

Burnt smell- transmission fluid?

Beano

Reaction score
City, State
North Haven, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Hi everyone, I'd like to know if anyone has advice for me. We just had some snow here in CT and I went out driving in my 2001 explorer sport while in 4x4 high, after about 30 minutes or so, i noticed a smell like burnt tranny fluid. No smoke or anything, just a smell, which i at first didnt think was coming from my car. I stopped and let it cool down for about 7 hours. By then the smell was gone, but I still decided to drive home in 2wd. I checked the fluid when I got home, the level was still in between the hash marks on the dip stick, and it appears to be the same red-orangish color that it normally is. Do you think I have any reason to worry?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm wondering if you got the transfer case or trans hot enough to blow some out of the vent tube.

I'm wondering if you got the transfer case or trans hot enough to blow some out of the vent tube.

I'm betting on the transfer case also. When was the last time you changed the fluid? I believe the manual calls for the TC fluid to be replaced every 30k.

nope, i havent added or spilled any fluid at all lately. i drove around a good bit today, mostly in 2wd, everything seemed perfectly normal. Does it really say to change it every 30k? its got 48k on it now, so i should probably do that.

It's cheap insurance, $10 and a half hour spent changing the fluid vs a grand or more and a day of work changing out the TC.

Back