Burnt trans fluid, won't engage ANY gear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burnt trans fluid, won't engage ANY gear?

Expl0d3r

Reaction score
City, State
Broadalbin, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Hey guys, I've got a 99 explorer, 4.0 sohc with awd/4wd with dark stinky fluid that intermittently (most of the time) won't move in any gear. I understand that with potentially burnt/darkened fluid (& likely never being serviced) that may be the problem but something tells me it's something more. I believe it to have the 5r55e trans, but don't know for certain...

I don't have a way to measure transmission pressure yet, but when I get paid this Friday I plan on purchasing a gauge to check this. I have an obd2 scanner that won't pick up trans codes, wish I did because always the OD light is flashing. what would you recommend troubleshooting first? I have studied up on the 5r55e trans for a while now, and today I want to start working on it. I am wondering if the problem would be the EPC solenoid, or pump? A pressure loss would not allow it to shift...Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks!

Burnt fluid usually means that the clutches or bands were slipping and it may need rebuilt. Get the code read and a pressure check and go from there.

butchexplorertag_zps2e5f3840.jpg

here's the tag on the truck i'm working on. any way to identify exactly which transmission is in it guys?

nevermind, just found the chart showing that it is in fact a 5r55e. got the truck to operating temperature today and cycled through all the gears, not one of them grabs. no access to a scanner that'll show codes..and still having trouble getting ahold of a pressure gauge. *sigh* if the transmission won't move in any gear, would that indicate a pump, or pressure regulator/EPC solenoid failing? i've read countless guides and i have the ATSG manual but no solid answers..

Back