Buy a 02 Ex with a bad tranny for $2K?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buy a 02 Ex with a bad tranny for $2K??

PhotoByFriend

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
My sister is selling a 02 Explorer 4wd XLS that looks brand new (88,x..), has always been serviced and repaired by the dealer. It has new tires and other than the tranny, everything still works. The tranny went out and the dealer told them they would give $2,000.00 as a trade or a new tranny would cost $4K.

Most of the independent shops charge $2,000.00 for a rebuild with 12 month -12k warranty.

Would it be worth it? I have read a ton of issues about the 02. Granted a lot of them have already been fixed by Ford. Good deal or Pass?

Oh by the way, AWESOME forum!!

Thanks
Keith from St Louis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the 2002 was the start of the 3rd generation so its a toss up.. For $2K thats not a bad price for the vehicle, you can probably get a qualified rebuilt not junkyard transmission, which I recommend for $1500 or so depending on the market price in your area. Labor probably be another $500-800 depending on location. For that type of investment it may be worth keeping.

Thanks guys! I have been searching the forum on how to remove the tranny myself and I will be picking up a Helm's manual regardless. It appears I could save $400.00 off the $2K rebuild cost if I R/R it myself. Although, $400.00 doesn't seem to bad in the grand scheme of things...

welcome

Welcome to this forum! You could buy the ATSG rebuild manual to rebuild it. The original Ford 3 ring binder is also good since it has more details. I've found some mistakes in my A4LD ATSG manual which I was able to verify with the Ford manual.

Welcome!

Keep it and get the trans fixed. You'll wind up paying more if you trade in the vehicle for another vehicle, when you could spend between 1500-2000 to have it fixed.

I'd fix it too. You already know the history of the vehicle which IMO it pretty important. Get the tranny fixed and drive the heck out of it, you will still be ahead of the game.

Back