• Register Today It's free!

Buy a 2nd Gen. or fix my '94?

Limited94MX

Reaction score
City, State
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
I hope someone can help me decide. So here is the situation: We have currently a '94 Explorer. But I am thinking of selling it and get a 2nd gen. Model ('99-'01) instead. The '94 runs great so far and we only had minor problems with it, the motor has just a bit over 107k and the chassis no rust. There are some issues with it like the 4x4 stopped working, AC has a small leak, Water from the overflow disappears, small Steering fluid leak and some minor things on the Body/interior.

So now I have to decide to either fix the '94 or get a newer model. I estimated for the repair around $2-3k and a 2nd gen. Explorer I can find at around $6k with mileage under 100k.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The water disappearing is disturbing to me. Is there any water coming out of the weep hole on the water pump? Unless you do your own repairs I'd say your probably better off with a newer vehicle.

I just checked and I located water tripping from the front of the water pump where it is connected to the belt.

I can do smaller repairs but I keep my hands off the engine and transmission :(

...From what you described, these are relatively minor problems and your 94 4x4 is better than a 99-01 4x4 in my opinion...

...For the 4x4 problem ...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542

...Unless you are having auto hub problems and you can find all kinds of hub info in the "How To" in my signature...

...The disappearing water could be head gaskets and some have used Barr's stop leak to resolve this or a simple water pump change...:dunno:...If you search there is a "How To" on it..

...The A/C leak is usually fixed with a plastic bushing for under $1...If you have R12, you can get "Freeze12" for about $13-$15 dollars a can and you will need 3 to have it refilled by a qualified person...

I tried to fix the 4x4 myself (with help from the 4x4 post you mentioned), got a used shift motor but it is still not working. ATM I have to look also for the sensor (brown cable) as the cable broke loose and it can not be soldered back on (broke exactly at the sensor). The 4x4 works if turned manually.

I will probably bring it to the mechanic next week to get it checked thoroughly. We would prefer to keep the '94 and make it more Off Road capable (Lift kit etc.) as we will need it in a couple of months.

...Now that you have it down to $200-$500 fix if you pay a mechanic, that leaves you a lot of money to fix up your X the way you want it...;)

I wanted a second gen over a first when I was looking to buy one, but Igotta say my 94 seems far more capable than most stock 95 to whatever's. Even if the front diff. is a bit of a mud shovel... hmm, I may have just named my Ex.

Thanks Guys. If the mechanic doesn't find anything severe we will keep our '94 for sure. (I could swear I just heard a sigh of relieve from the garage) :D

Thanks Guys. If the mechanic doesn't find anything severe we will keep our '94 for sure. (I could swear I just heard a sigh of relieve from the garage) :D
That was the air letting itself out of the tires:p:

That water leaking from the front of the water pump is a weep hole that leaks when the pump goes bad. Your water pump is shot and needs replaced. Working on the X isn't to bad really. Invest a couple hundred in a Craftsman 260 piece set. Buy a breaker bar and some deep well impact sockets to go with it. Get some BIG sockets, 1"-bout 1 1/2" and you should be ready to kick but on it. And the correct hub socket. And a 3 ton floor jack and some jack stands.

That water leaking from the front of the water pump is a weep hole that leaks when the pump goes bad. Your water pump is shot and needs replaced. Working on the X isn't to bad really. Invest a couple hundred in a Craftsman 260 piece set. Buy a breaker bar and some deep well impact sockets to go with it. Get some BIG sockets, 1"-bout 1 1/2" and you should be ready to kick but on it. And the correct hub socket. And a 3 ton floor jack and some jack stands.
Labor is cheap down south. Just had the pump replaced for less than $100 (including new pump). Thanks for all the help again guys. :salute:

Back