Buy an original ford explorer or 2nd gen new 0 miles... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buy an original ford explorer or 2nd gen new 0 miles...

Louie what a great looking truck! It makes me feel good seeing both of these trucks doing so good. Out here in California we never see that mostly people off road them and jump them spray paint....most explorers out here look like they got resurrected from a junk yard. I have a 1991 white with brown eddie Bauer...It has seen so much abuse has 205k miles I would drive that thing anywhere never really ever had any problems. I change the fluids on schedule but such a great vehicle..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hells yeah I would buy both gen1 Explorer, and Sport Trac.
Should have never traded the 94 XLT in.
Coincidentally was searching low mileage Tracs the other day, and found one w/ 17k in Marietta, Ohio they had just got in, so no pic, or $. It was after hours, so used electronic communication, when there was no response by noon, called, but too late!

Hi Louie

That is a very nice Explorer. Very impressive! I have the tow package and limited slip on mine also with the 3.73 rear axle which was a special order.

I was 18 and remember seeing one on the lot and by many blessings and hard work got it. My Dad kept me working to pay for it and I remember making triple payments to avoid the crazy interest rate. I think it was 7 percent.

l know later on I wished I got the 4 door but as a late teenager the two door was the way to go. I fell in love with the bright red paint. I still love putting polish and wax on it.
Scotty,
Thank you, yours looks great too. My carpet looks like new like yours is, because I purchased the weathertech floor mats that cover the whole floor. Yup, same axle. Mine is special to me also. The first and last new vehicle we ever purchased. Saved for years to put $10,000 cash down on it and financed the rest through ford motor credit.

You should consider keeping yours. #1 You know what you have, #2 you can get antique insurance for 80% less than normal insurance. If you have a family you will need 2 vehicles anyway. Guaranteed if you sell it, you will regret it later (take this from a Guy in his 60"s). I still have the original sticker, if there is any interest will scan it and post it. Just had a laugh. The owner's manual came with a pen in the middle, that pen still writes to this day!

Louie what a great looking truck! It makes me feel good seeing both of these trucks doing so good. Out here in California we never see that mostly people off road them and jump them spray paint....most explorers out here look like they got resurrected from a junk yard. I have a 1991 white with brown eddie Bauer...It has seen so much abuse has 205k miles I would drive that thing anywhere never really ever had any problems. I change the fluids on schedule but such a great vehicle..
Thanks, Sounds like these old explorers will outlast the newer ones. Been reading how my 2015 with internal coolant pump will need to be replaced before it leaks and destroys the engine before 100K miles. The future timing chain issues, ohh boy! Will keep the 94' forever, lol!

Thank you Louie. I don’t have weather tec mats just use some towels and cheap mats but my Explorer has only since a little rain even in the last two years. I only drive on nice days and I have a California car cover on it in garage.

I love this truck and had it since I got out of high school. I never abused it because I worked double shifts to pay for it so as a teenager it taught me to respect things.

I catch heat lately because I spent some serious money to fix the rear main leak and some other maintenance. I had a Ford dealer do it since I cannot and I wanted OEM parts. Girlfriends or fiancés freak when you spend $2k on maintenance for a 28 year old truck. They don’t get it. Plus when I marry I won’t have extra space and most likely less time to drive her.

I have my blue Explorer Pen also :) too funny.

Interesting thread and intriguing concept. Luckily there are enough (fairly) low mileage early generation Explorers out there still unmolested/thrashed that are available and fairly inexpensive - - they just take a while to find. As awesome as the new 2 door Bronco appears to be, it would be insane to plop that drivetrain, suspension, engine, 7 speed, and all the electronic niceties into my first generation ‘Sport. Insane, but cool.
Don't you mean Insane, and cool?;)
Digging on the Grit City location!

Thanks, Sounds like these old explorers will outlast the newer ones. Been reading how my 2015 with internal coolant pump will need to be replaced before it leaks and destroys the engine before 100K miles. The future timing chain issues, ohh boy! Will keep the 94' forever, lol!
Yea and even outlast all the 2020s that are breaking down within 500 miles.

Don't you mean Insane, and cool?;)
Digging on the Grit City location!
Yep, you're close. . . Couple of us did a snow run today around Crystal Mountain. Pretty cool T-shirt in town has a great slogan: "Don't Seattle my Tacoma". Spot on when compared to that "Summer of Love" - - CHAZ/CHOP B.S. this past summer. . .

Scott / Lou - - Fer Chrissakes, don't sell those two rigs! You'll never find caretakers to maintain those Explorers as you have. . . and you'll regret the sale if you do. . . trust me.

Paul

they did they are calling it the new Bronco :)

Kidding!!

I would buy a 93 with a 4.0, 5 speed and manual t case in a heartbeat (93 was pre egr and cam sensor)
or
I would buy a 96 5.0 install some headers and 4x4 t case
both trucks would out last me with proper maintenance

Of course to get your hands on one these days would require $55K and 72 months of financing plus without bluetooth, proximity alarms, heated massage seats and multiple camera's the only ones buying them would be us old guys who know better

Did you know Ford is still making pushrod engines? Did you know you can still get a ttb suspension in a new Ford van?
Sweet eh? some things were just that good the first time around
Ford making pushrods lol I found out newer corvettes are too! What a interesting find that's like a 100 year old concept still being used on performance cars.

Back