Buy an original ford explorer or 2nd gen new 0 miles... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buy an original ford explorer or 2nd gen new 0 miles...

1991 sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Lompoc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 eddie bauer
Seeing how the new ford explorer is having so many problems...if ford decided to re make the original explorer or second generation would you buy a new car payment car or pass on it? Me personally I would like to see ford make another round of these vehicles...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they did they are calling it the new Bronco :)

Kidding!!

I would buy a 93 with a 4.0, 5 speed and manual t case in a heartbeat (93 was pre egr and cam sensor)
or
I would buy a 96 5.0 install some headers and 4x4 t case
both trucks would out last me with proper maintenance

Of course to get your hands on one these days would require $55K and 72 months of financing plus without bluetooth, proximity alarms, heated massage seats and multiple camera's the only ones buying them would be us old guys who know better

Did you know Ford is still making pushrod engines? Did you know you can still get a ttb suspension in a new Ford van?
Sweet eh? some things were just that good the first time around

Interesting thread and intriguing concept. Luckily there are enough (fairly) low mileage early generation Explorers out there still unmolested/thrashed that are available and fairly inexpensive - - they just take a while to find. As awesome as the new 2 door Bronco appears to be, it would be insane to plop that drivetrain, suspension, engine, 7 speed, and all the electronic niceties into my first generation ‘Sport. Insane, but cool.

Yea I like some of these responses, if they did put all the Broncos technology in a first or second generation I would yea absolutely have to have that. Hmm hopefully ford is listening I would still take either over any cars ive seen around. They could use alot of the same old design and save alot of money. Idk I heard that when the first explorer came out literally everyone had one...ive heard of alot of stories about explorers with like 15k miles just sitting in people's garages...like new. The other day I saw an 84 chevy s10 with 14k miles on it going to smog... I'm like how? And it really was and for sale...looked brand new im like if only it was an explorer.

they do pop up, especially on BAT.com

its not that difficult these days to take a Gen I truck and add all that fancy tech to it :)
My 1988 BII has heated seats, front and rear camera's, bluetooth, what else do you want? 360 degree camera's? heated and cooled seats? proximity detectors? It can all be added :)
but no new vehicle will have what a BII has..................wing windows and stainless steel side mirrors!!! lmfao

However the 4 door 2021 Bronco with a turbo..... oh baby, its hard for me not to pull the trigger on one and sign my life away...especially when its been my screen saver for months and I go around wearing a Bronco "R" hoodie........

:eek: the Broncos are cool to be honest I would like to see the "Explorer II" to look exactly the same as the old one when they do add all the tech...backup camera alarm ECT I don't want to be able to tell it's there until you drive it also heated seats maybe do some different suspension in the rear just little things but needs to look like a 1st gen.

Never happen. New smog, mileage, and safety regulations are the primary reason for auto manufactures to redesign vehicles. New Bronco is the next best thing, and probably superior to a 1st and 2nd gen Explorer in every way. I can't wait to see the customized SAS versions in a year or so. This is coming from a guy who thinks the 1st gen was the best of all the Explorers. However, I have more money in mine in aftermarket parts, metal and welding wire than it cost new.

For Ford to make a new Explorer like the 1st gen, they would have the same problems they are having now. They have a habit of releasing vehicles out into the marketplace prior to all the bugs being worked out.

the first gen IS the best of all the explorers TTB for the win!! LMFAO flame suit on I still drive my 88 BII the "precursor" of the Gen I sport :)

Seeing how the new ford explorer is having so many problems...if ford decided to re make the original explorer or second generation would you buy a new car payment car or pass on it? Me personally I would like to see ford make another round of these vehicles...
I think they got it right with the 4th gen, around 2010. Go find a complaint on those, esp the v8.
Perfect balance of safety, reliability, and classic design.
Then they dropped it for that Old Volvo.

they did they are calling it the new Bronco :)

Kidding!!

I would buy a 93 with a 4.0, 5 speed and manual t case in a heartbeat (93 was pre egr and cam sensor)
or
I would buy a 96 5.0 install some headers and 4x4 t case
both trucks would out last me with proper maintenance

Of course to get your hands on one these days would require $55K and 72 months of financing plus without bluetooth, proximity alarms, heated massage seats and multiple camera's the only ones buying them would be us old guys who know better

Did you know Ford is still making pushrod engines? Did you know you can still get a ttb suspension in a new Ford van?
Sweet eh? some things were just that good the first time around
The sticker on my 96 is around 35K, the limited was probably a bit more, maybe 37?. EB is missing a few options. Not even heated seats, I had to add. Don't even think it was available. But there were more options like memory seats, air suspension and even a phone. I don't even have a tow package, LS or cooler.
Inflation wise, that is 60K now. You could could probably deal for a loaded top of the line one for that money.

I have one of those low mileage first years. Got this 1992 out of high school and never saw winters. My Dad worked for Ford and his buddies followed it down the line. I have 36k now. The only issues I have had are oil leaks mostly rear main related.

I may have to sell this girl in the spring when I get married and have more responsibilities and obligations. If I have to sell I just want someone to appreciate her and all the years of TLC

003BEFB0-7AE7-48C5-A02D-89FF444C5DF0.jpeg

853E77A0-A723-4044-823F-B8EEBD64100B.jpeg

76A24CD0-C7E2-498D-BF5A-629BCB74C9AA.jpeg

CE7571D6-E216-4A45-AAD9-B0767DFD17F6.jpeg

76C4EC46-187B-492B-81DA-B32795355BAD.jpeg

3C566C3B-D01A-4012-91E9-812B2E14EACB.jpeg

Wow that thing looks brand new...nice with a sunroof.
B Kennedy 56,000 for that bronco is ridiculous omg

It warms my heart to see another explorer taken care of like My Wife and I treat ours. Ours is a 1994 XLT and was ordered new with a sunroof, towing package (with optional low gear axles with limited slip), optional power seats with inflatable lumbar and bolster supports. We think of it as an Eddie Bauer without the brown because it has all those options.

My Dad worked for a Ford dealer at the time as a mechanic, so ordered it new with a discount my Dad got. Went from the dealer directly to a Ziebart rustproofing place. So no rust anywhere and it is garage kept.

The photos are from 2016 and the odometer now shows 35,600 original miles today. The photos were taken for Hagerty antique insurance. Was very concerned even though I had collision coverage, that my current insurance would just total it and give me $1,500 for it. Have it insured for $5,000 now, but would cry if anything ever happened to it. No intention of selling it ever, gave it to my wife to use around town when I purchased a used 2015 explorer 2 years ago.

I told my wife the 1994 explorer will be around well after the 2015 is dead. On the 94, We can make any repairs on our own, pull engine tranny, etc. On the 2015 everything comes out the bottom, no chance of doing that with our engine hoist. The 2015 is nice and has so many cool neat features, quieter and more powerful. But with all that comes a more complicated engine and electrical system and more to go wrong. Still actually enjoy driving the 94 more. And know if we ever have to go off road, the 94 with more ground clearance and robust chassis would put the 2015 to shame.

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

Hi Louie

That is a very nice Explorer. Very impressive! I have the tow package and limited slip on mine also with the 3.73 rear axle which was a special order.

I was 18 and remember seeing one on the lot and by many blessings and hard work got it. My Dad kept me working to pay for it and I remember making triple payments to avoid the crazy interest rate. I think it was 7 percent.

l know later on I wished I got the 4 door but as a late teenager the two door was the way to go. I fell in love with the bright red paint. I still love putting polish and wax on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow that's like a thousand miles a year that's insane I have never seen an explorer like that except for In the early 90s. Those trucks I'm guessing could go another 30 years by the looks of it...i just can't believe you have the original carpet, explorer mud flaps you should be able to get alot for it I wouldnt want to sell it.

Back