• Register Today It's free!

Buy another Explorer 2gen

RIcArDO1697

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '00 Sport
If want to buy another Explorer 2gen what edition do you recommend me to buy, an XLT w/plus package, eddie bauer or limited???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything with a 5.0

check this site for available options on the year your looking for:

http://www.cars.com/ford/explorer/

I found some useful info there when I was searching this past summer, as well as good advice on here. And as celly said....get the 5.0!

I wish I can get the 5.0 but it's getting expensive for me, I spend around $80 in gas every week in my 4.0:/

well on the 1997 year that I have EPA ratings are...

5.0 V8 AWD
14 mpg city (I unfortunately only get this)
18 mpg highway (Ive been getting 20-21)

if I had the V6...and 2WD
14 mpg city...rated the same?
19 mpg highway....hmmm...go figure!

well on the 1997 year that I have EPA ratings are...

5.0 V8 AWD
14 mpg city (I unfortunately only get this)
18 mpg highway (Ive been getting 20-21)

if I had the V6...and 2WD
14 mpg city...rated the same?
19 mpg highway....hmmm...go figure!

Precisely. Having owned both the 5.0 AND 4.0 SOHC, mileage is about the same, give or take.

Precisely. Having owned both the 5.0 AND 4.0 SOHC, mileage is about the same, give or take.
Golly gee, I am getting an average of 17.5-18MPG combination city highway here in Omaha area. Got a little over 21 on trip to AZ and back. And that was the torque convertor not locking up in AZ, NM, and CO. Got as high as 25 in AZ and CO. Either that, or their pump was off. Usually get around 20-21 highway at 65 MPH. 96 XLT 4.0 OHV auto, control trac 4x4.

I think i'm going to search for an 5.0, I got an mixed city/highway MPG.

Golly gee, I am getting an average of 17.5-18MPG combination city highway here in Omaha area. Got a little over 21 on trip to AZ and back. And that was the torque convertor not locking up in AZ, NM, and CO. Got as high as 25 in AZ and CO. Either that, or their pump was off. Usually get around 20-21 highway at 65 MPH. 96 XLT 4.0 OHV auto, control trac 4x4.

How are you measuring?

I just use the message center on mine. Whether it's right or wrong, at least it's consistent. I do between 14-16 in city, depending on conditions and 19-21 on the highway. I live close to the mountains so highway mileage really depends whether I've got mountain passes to deal with or not. ;)

Those numbers you get are pretty good for the OHV 4.0.

My Sport have the SOHC and need a new time belt tensioner:/, but I get a good MPG

Back