Buying a new explorer

flyguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT V8
Hey, it looks like i might be getting a new car, and I think I wanna get a newer explorer. Problem is, I dont know if I can afford a new one. Soooo... what are the diffrences between a 2000-2003 explorer? What should I be looking for? I want an XLT, but will settle for an XLS if I am ghetto poor. :) Also, Im trying to decide if I should go 4x4 again. I like mine, but it really only gets used like twice a year. The newer explorers are AWD right? So they are not selectable like my 94? I live in orange county so Im on city street 95% of the time. I await your input.

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only V8 Explorers are AWD. The V6 uses a selectable 4X4 sytem.

The 2000-2001 Explorers have a solid rear axle, as opposed to the 2002-3, which have independent rear suspensions. It wouldn't matter if all you need is a grocery getter.

I like the idea of the IRS... can both handle thier own off-road though? I do drive like a moron... I slow down for nothing in my 94'. Seems like no matter how hard I drive it, it can take it. Can I expect the same of the newer models? Also, is the stock ground clearance the same?

I have been leaning towards the V8. Is the V8 only available in AWD, or can I get 2x4 as well?

Also, what is the general opinion of the v8 over the SOHC? Is it a waste of cash? Also, how is aftermarket support on both engines? Can I get toys for both of them?

And finally, how about the luxuries and frills? Does the 2002-3 come with anything diffrent from the 2000's?

thanks again!

nick

Actually, the new Explorers ('02-'03) has Control Trac system on both V6 and V8 models. So both has 4X4. Now if you get the Mountaineer, it's a different case, it's AWD on both V6 and V8 models. Don't quote me on the Mountaineer though but I'm for sure that the Explorers have the Control Trac 4X4 system.

Originally posted by flyguy
I like the idea of the IRS... can both handle thier own off-road though? I do drive like a moron... I slow down for nothing in my 94'. Seems like no matter how hard I drive it, it can take it. Can I expect the same of the newer models? Also, is the stock ground clearance the same?

I have been leaning towards the V8. Is the V8 only available in AWD, or can I get 2x4 as well?

Also, what is the general opinion of the v8 over the SOHC? Is it a waste of cash? Also, how is aftermarket support on both engines? Can I get toys for both of them?

And finally, how about the luxuries and frills? Does the 2002-3 come with anything diffrent from the 2000's?

thanks again!

nick
02's + are awsome, I'm getting an 02 Mounty 4.6. In the Death Valley Toture test, the 02 Explorer got both the best and worst ground clearance for off-roading. It has high ground clearance but the central diff. is only like 6.75" at its point.

Get the 4.6, you will be very happy, the sohc is not a bad engine it's still plenty peppy for a hevy suv, but the 4.6 makes the 02's move fast as hell. My neighbors 02 Explorer XLT 2wd V8 cranked off a around a 15.8 stock at Morrosso Speedway, the 5 speed trans keeps the V8 in its powerband the whole time. My moms 5.0 Mounty is quick like all 5.0'S Ex/Mounty, but I can just stay with him off the line and then he burns me, that 4.6 pulls like a mutha when the revs get higher. Oh yeh, get the 4.6 with the trailer package so you can get the 3.73 gears.

The 02 Mounty that I'm getting has the luxury package and I guess its like a limited or Eddie bauer Explorer, I just like the Mounty's interior better. And the seats are a hell of a lot more comfortable than the other gens which weren't bad either.

The 03' Explorer does have an option for an off-road package but I don't think it said it had a lift, just different tires and skid plates and some other stuff, the Mounty most likely doesn't.

interesting. Is the 4.6L engine the same engine in the mustangs? Can I buy mustang parts for it? Also, I am dumb. What is Control Trac?

nick

interesting. Is the 4.6L engine the same engine in the mustangs? Can I buy mustang parts for it? Also, I am dumb. What is Control Trac?

nick
Do a search for it, but basically it is Ford's proprietary 4wd system that uses speed sensors and a GEM computer to decided when to activate the front axle when in auto mode. There is also a locking 4-high and low. On the 2002+ advance-trac is optional which is a system similar to Mercedez suv's which kind of simulates having lockers front and rear by way of using the brakes to control a wheel that is spinning faster than another.

Control Trac is the Explorer's 4WD system--in plain English. There're three buttons--4WD Auto, 4WD High, and 4WD Low. Like I said, I believe it is standard on both the V6 and the V8 models.

nick
same engine, but just like the 5.0 in our Ex/Mounty has a few things that differ from the Mustang 5.0, there are a few things different on the 4.6, but basically anything from a mustang will fit. Can we say "Easy cam swaps";) , and plenty of room under the hood, it's not a big engine just really wide.

I already plan on doing mustang bolt-ons when I get mine, 1st. off the truck is very fast stock, so after the bolt-ons and especially a cam swaps it will plain out haul azz!:cool: And I'm also looking at the Kenne-Bell twin screw charger. KenneBell gets consistant low to mid 5's for 0-60 with just a charger and Magnaflow dual cat-back exhaust, now think of what that time would be with more bolt-ons and especially a tranny shift kit, hehe, smokin! :smoke:

Awsome info guys. Now the big one. Where should I look for a good price on a 2002? suggestions? I want a comparison between a SOHC and a 4.6L.

nick

Awsome info guys. Now the big one. Where should I look for a good price on a 2002? suggestions? I want a comparison between a SOHC and a 4.6L.

nick
Don't even consider the 4.0 SOHC. The 4.6 is tried and true, way more powerful, and likely comes with a more reliable tranny. I would also get a 2wd with a limiited slip. It's not like you're actually going to do any real offroading with it.

nick
No contest on the engine choice, 4.6 all the way, very fuel efficient for a V8, awsome low-end and mid-range torque and excellent high rpm pull. And it's torque and rev characteristics are matched perfectly for the gearing and 5 speed. Also, you cannot beat that modular engine rumble:D . V6 isn't bad, but looking at your sig makes me think you want a faster truck or like to mod and you will be immensley happy with the 4.6 V8, endless mods like the 5.0 but is easier to work on at least thats what the Mustang shops here say along with most tuners. As to where to find one, I don't know about your area, but where I live they seem to be cheaper compared to what some people on here payed, I live in Boca Raton,FL.

Originally posted by Jason_25

Don't even consider the 4.0 SOHC. The 4.6 is tried and true, way more powerful, and likely comes with a more reliable tranny. I would also get a 2wd with a limiited slip. It's not like you're actually going to do any real offroading with it.
ooops, Jason_25 already nailed it. Too many people are having problems with the sohc plus they end up wishing they had gotten the V8. As for the tranny, the 5 speed is a ****load better than the previous transmissions and better than the 5 speed from the last gen. I have the numbers of what the new 5 speed on a V8 can handle, I'm looking for them right now, you'll be very suprised to see what that trans will hold without a problem, hold on 1 sec:D

EDIT - Ok heres the numbers the 5 speed trans for a the 4.6 V8 will handle (and actually it'll handle more):
more than 400hp
over 450 lb-ft torque

-If you look in the Truckin Suv Magazine w/ the 3 custom 02' Explorers and 1 02' Mounty. The Mounty is used by KenneBell, it has the 4.6 V8 AWD with a KenneBell Twin Screw charger (only set at 6psi of boost) and Magnaflow dual cat-back exhaust and it puts out 386hp and 410 lb-ft of torque with a sick torque curve (gotta love twin-screws). And it says Ford rated the V8 5 speed to easily handle more than 400hp and 450 lb-ft of torque, so no internal strengthaning was needed. And the 1st time they ran it, it got to 60 in less than 5.6 seconds, and that was with just a charger and exhaust, they didn't even do any other bolt-ons, could you imagine just putting in a new cam on that setup and a custom chip burn:eek: .

Hmm... sold on the v8, but how much are they? I can only find v6's for sale.

nick

Nice! But can I afford one? :)

nick

I like the idea of the IRS... can both handle thier own off-road though? I do drive like a moron... I slow down for nothing in my 94'.

I don't wanna be crossing the street when you're driving then! LOL! Get it?? hahaha... I was implying that if I were walking across the street, you wouldn't slow down for me! You know, run me over? LMAO, what a concept!

I might. :) But I drive over curbs and what not at 40-50mph. I just wanna make sure it wont fall apart. In my 94, Ive gotton my front end airborne quite a few times. I dont like the idea of only have 6.5" to play with. I guess I gotta get bigger tires.

nick

I might. :) But I drive over curbs and what not at 40-50mph. I just wanna make sure it wont fall apart. In my 94, Ive gotton my front end airborne quite a few times. I dont like the idea of only have 6.5" to play with. I guess I gotta get bigger tires.

nick

U might? LOL! This guy is a character! You're really funny man hahaha, hit me up on AOL Instant Messenger some time.

paul_c_nichols is selling his 2000 XLT in the for sale forum, trying him.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back