Buying a shotgun... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying a shotgun...

Shotgun without a doubt is much better but a pistol is handier to keep around and grab. If you miss with a pistol they are probably too far away. If they are that far away then you shouldn't be needing to shoot them.
Don't start buying or cutting any shotgun barrel until you find out what size barrel is allowed in your State or town.
Remember, you should or have to keep a trigger lock on and keep your gun UN LOADED and locked away! More people are shot accidently than by burglars.
Its a tough call! Be safe first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More people are shot accidently than by burglars.

Thats not true. The main thing is handling the gun responsibly and making sure anyone in the house knows how to handle it responsibly, but from the sound of it Woody already knows how to handle a gun. I would recommend keeping the gun unloaded, but a trigger lock or locking the whole gun up is not a good idea. In any kind of emergency you can scare somebody away with an unloaded gun, but you probably won't have time to unlock it.

So Jake
God forbid, you get some meth crazed nutcase that breaks into your home one night and starts beating your wife and kids to death with a baseball bat, you jump up with your unloaded shotgun and scare him off? I think not, life threatening situations require drastic measures, never forget, you have the legal right to protect your family and yourself from great bodily harm, even if it takes inflicting great and or lethal harm to said person who is intent on killing you or yours

The shortest barrel you can leagally have as a citizen is 18". I got a shotgun for the same reason you're going to. Home Dense. I picked up a Remington 870 Home Defense model. It has an 18.5" barrel, 7 shot capacity, synthethic stocks, and reliable as can be. I actually shoot clays with it all the time and it's very cooperative. I think you can get them for around $300 new (which is what I would do).

Here's my butler and my nanny:
guns1.jpg

i'm suggest a mossberg 500 w/ pistol grip for home protection, its almost identical to the 870 but a few bucks cheaper, great warranty(lifetime), i use my moss 500 for hunting and it has never failed me, so thats just my 2 cents, take it for what u will, if ur looking for a good 12gauge at a great price, its the way to go, i know u can get the 500 at wal-mart in like 10 mins if u pass FBI inspection that is, for around 200, then have to prob order the pistol grip from somewhere, can find dealers on there website, good luck

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/model500.htm
pistol grip is at the bottom of this next page, $$$28.50
http://www.mossberg.com/acatalog/conversions.htm
and another idea, if ur really only going to use it for home defense, then look into rubber bullets, u can get them in a style like real shells(50 or so small projectiles) or stud versions, think thats a better idea for home defense cause it will knock down and prob out an intruder, can kill if close enough and in the right spot, take care

here are the shells i'm talking bout
http://www.lightfighter.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=39

Rubber bullets, bean bags, and Plastiks are silly in a home defence situation. If you shoot someone who has their adrenaline pumping, and pulling out thier weapon a rubber slug isn't likely to stop them from getting off a shot at you. I highly doubt they will be using rubber bullets. I have both an 870 and a mossberg 500. Both nice guns, and would work well for what you are looking for. The 870 is a little older, and required less work than the Mossberg.
BTW, more people are definately shot by accident, than by burglars. It sounds like Woody has a good handle on weapon safety. If you don't have small children running around, and don't go stalking around the house with the loaded gun, with the safety off every time the house creeks, you should be fine.

I may be wrong but I agreed with a friend of mine who said..

Have the first 2 shells be rubber or bag then have the rest #2's.
That way if you have a accident, yourself or family is save and if its an intruder then you'll knock them down then you can have a clear shot to shoot them. Well you know what I mean. Just 1 more step of safety. If you need to you can pump one out to get to get to the Lethal rounds.

Without a doubt, 18" barrel Rem. 870, just like the one in Section's pic.

BTW- screw the bean bags and whatnot. If you ever have to fire on someone in your home and they live, be prepared for a massive lawsuit. Kill them and they cant sue you. Also, how do you know this person isnt jacked up on Methamphetacrank? How do you know a non-lethal round will stop him? Would you be willing to put your life in the hands of a bean bag?

Also, leave the pump without a round in the chamber in the ready to rack position. If you suspect someone is in the home, "shuck-shuck" chamber a round. Very good chance that whoever hears it will run for their life and you will hopefully not have to fire on them.

james t said:
Also, leave the pump without a round in the chamber in the ready to rack position. If you suspect someone is in the home, "shuck-shuck" chamber a round. Very good chance that whoever hears it will run for their life and you will hopefully not have to fire on them.

Exactly what I said... that sound of cycling the pump action is the most distinct sound in the world. And once you get the gun nice and worn in, oiled, and working smoothly, you can pump it by just holding the comb and jerking the gun up and down in the air (thus the reason I suggest you use it for regular sheet shooting, to make sure that all the parts get nice and fine tuned to each other)

My $.02 as I own 2 for home protection - as well as other guns

Mossberg 12GA 20" "Special Purpose" pump action - excellent action - minimal kick and light weight if the wife/GF needs to handle it. You want to stock double 00 buck for home use (big bore - medium spread, ie: destroy what you hit at close range). Then take them and anyone who will be handling them to a range to get the feel of them, then goto a gun show and buy a std pistol grip handle kit (this does technically make a hand gun - but by the time that matters you'll either be dead or a hero). I had to pull one out last summer during the big Midwest blackout when some guy was trying to steal my generator in the middle of the night (Nothing stops most people in thier tracks like the sound of shotgun being racked :)

50579 12 ga. 500® Pump 8-shot, w/20" barrel, includes Pistol Grip kit for replacing full length stock. ...MSRP $353

Available at most national sporting goods stores (Dunhams is where I got mine from) this time of year for appx $200.00.

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm

You could always consider a 410. They're extemely light and maneuverable. Besides, do you really want to kill somebody or simply disable them? I'm sure you've seen the court cases where the homeowner gets screwed over by a jury for "defending his turf". A good maiming will leave 'em scarred for life (mentally & physically). That said, I have a 20 ga. shotgun, .22 rifle and .22 "survival" semi-automatic rifle (it breaks down into barrel, receiver, clip and stock. Everything slides into the stock which floats, if necessary).
Good Luck with your weapons search - Dave.

So Jake
God forbid, you get some meth crazed nutcase that breaks into your home one night and starts beating your wife and kids to death with a baseball bat, you jump up with your unloaded shotgun and scare him off? I think not, life threatening situations require drastic measures, never forget, you have the legal right to protect your family and yourself from great bodily harm, even if it takes inflicting great and or lethal harm to said person who is intent on killing you or yours

All I was saying was that it doesn't take long to load a shotgun but it takes quite a while to unlock one.

As far as getting a Mossberg, I know a lot of people like them, but I can't stand the action on them. They usually seem to me like they are kind of sloppily put together, and some are just hard to pump. If you want the smoothest action available get a Winchester 1300, push the button and the forearm drops. But they tend to run a little higher than an 870, which still has pretty smooth action and is just an all around good gun.

And its never a good idea to intend to wound someone. Like someone mentioned, if you get someone high on drugs or adrenaline a .410 or especially a 22 is more likely to just make them mad. Anything you point your gun at, be ready to destroy.

flat out get a rem. 870, i got mine for $150 used in 98% and then I got a 10 extension plus 5 on the size.

You can get anything for it, you might want to get a pistol grip, and an extension. And anything you get and be bolted on with alens wrenches, and push pins, and if you cannot for some reason any gunsmith/dealer can in less then 10 minuets.

look here there are 6 pages of add-on's, and up grades

Mbrooks420 said:
I have both an 870 and a mossberg 500.
Since these seem to be the shotguns everyone's suggesting, can you give me more information on your perceived differences?

If I pump the fore-end while a round is in the chamber, it'll eject and load the next, right? If so, then I kinda like the rubber bullet idea. If someone else pulls the trigger, no big deal, but if I hear glass breaking, I can eject it, and get that distinctive sound with ensuing psychological effect while loading something more lethal.

All the info is much appreciated, I especially like the links, details are much appreciated.

No offence, but it sounds to me that you need to learn a little more about the scattergun and its capabilities.

Go to a quality gun store and seek info. Hopwfully they will have a range and let you shoot the various guns.

Good luck....

No offense taken. A quick search pulls up scattergun, and it's impressive. <DROOL> But they seem to start around $600. Again, this is something that, agreeing with Hokie-logic, will only see the light of day, maybe twice a year. If I can get the same results with something half the price, I'm all for it.

Oh, and since I'm going to have to visit the suburbs to buy this thing anyway, I'll look for a gun shop with a shooting range. That's very good advice.

Ah, well it's also a brand of law-enforcement grade shotguns with built-in flashlights and a lot of kewl add-ons.

And I agree, I definitely need to learn more about 'em, hence the thread. My options in the city are somewhat limited, and although I'd prefer something I know I'm good with, it would involve breaking the law and stooping to the level of the very same people I'm trying to keep at bay. When it comes down to it, my final decision will be based on what feels best in hand, but there's no harm in walking in prepared and with an idea in mind. Like I said, there's a wealth of knowledge here, might as well tap in on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may start a debate here, but IMHO overall the 870 is generally more reliable than the Mossberg. Not by much, but i still believe if you want one with minimal cleaning/etc get the 870.

Back