Buying an explore with a lost title | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying an explore with a lost title

So I might buy this explorer but there’s a problem. Here it is. The person that currently has the car has a “lost title” forum filed out on hand from the owner b4 him.

The person I would be buying the car has never put it in his name.
Car has just been sitting.

So no title, just a paper from the original owner…

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Walk away from it. . Without a title in hand you don't want to deal with the paperwork.

~Mark

Not if something goes wrong. Then you have a vehicle that you may never be able to register because of someone elses mistake...

I've been through it before.. the PO had paperwork from someone else.. but the paperwork was no longer valid since the newer owner waited too long to take care of the paperwork..

~Mark

i've purchased (and been given) several vehicles with lost titles, including 2 explorers, 3 broncos, a '75 scout, and a '70 scout.

getting the title was no problem for any of them. Go to the DMV, if the registered owner is in their computer, they will give you a couple papers to fill out, and they will give you something to send certified to the person by certified mail to have them sign. (or you can have them sign it in person) the reason for certified mail is, if they don't sign it you have proof you sent it, and after a month it's yours unless they object.

so no title is no big deal, especially if you can just take the paper to the PO and have them sign it.

when you go to the DMV they can run the VIN and give you any info for potential problems (such as lean sales etc, which I've also dealt with once and it was no big deal) as well as if there is back-registration fees, etc

oh, and if the PO is out of the DMV computer (vehicle has been unregistered for 5 years i think), then it's even easier.

my buddy said as long as the owners name on the original bill of sale to the current holder of the car is still the same name on the old registration were good?

I'd call DMV, just to be safe.. double check your rules..

~Mark

Laws vary from state to state. It may be easy or it may be virtually impossible to take care of it once the deal is done. If the current owner does not have the title, I would not want to deal with it myself. The title is the document that shows proof of ownership. How can one possibly know that the vehicle is legitimately owned by that person without a title in hand??

It's one thing when you know the orgins of the vehicle... It's another when the 'seller' is a total stranger. I'd walk away, leave my phone number with the seller, and tell them to call me when they get title in hand.

Back