Buying higher mileage 4th gens

JMan689

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Downers Grove, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Focus ST
Looking at buying a 4th gen/2nd gen ST, however the majority of the ones in my price range have mileage that puts them out of even the power train warranty (70k+). Anyone have high (or really high) mileage on theirs? The Mountaineer has 83k on it now and there have not been any real problems with it. Are the V6s as reliable?

Currently have my eyes on two 07 Sport Tracs, one is a V6 with 83k miles, and the other is a V8 with 95k miles, but its $2000 less.

This will be my daily and eventually will most likely be used for towing a trail rig, should I just go with a V8? I haven't gone to look at the V8 yet as its over an hour away. The V6 however aside from having a scratch in the drivers fender and the rims scratched up (salesman said they would be having the rims refinished, today actually) it was in outstanding condition. Hitch looks like it had never been used. 1 owner, seems it was really taken care of.

Anything specific I should be looking out for because of the engine/tranny combo on either? I know about the spark plug issue with the V8, if/when I go look at it I'll bring that up.

Also found an 08 V6 Ex for the same price as the V6 Sport Trac with 4k less miles, but the overall condition isn't as nice (rock chips, cracked taillight, dirty engine, one power running board was done, one was up). So in my mind the ST is the easy V6 winner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My V6 has been very reliable even with me occationally towing 5000 lbs. As far as the V8's go, pre 2008 models have issues with the transmission and sparkplug/manifold design that were fixed on the later models and it seems like there are a good amount of hub repairs posted here at 80K +. The V6's most common issue is with the ABS tone rings, but other than that nothing really major. It really comes down to how often you are going to tow and if it is much more than 5000 lbs. In my opinion, the factory tow package on the V6 is good/reliable up to around 5000 lbs (trailer needs to have brakes) but the factory vehicle brakes get too hot and warp easily if you tow very often.

I've owned a Gen II XLT, III XLS, and IV XLS.....all 4X4 V-6's . IMO they are reliable. Haven't had any major problems with mine. Fortunately no tranny problems. Got about 180K out of the first two, and am approaching 100K with my Gen IV. Each generation had a few problems specific to that generation, but nothing earth shattering. My Gen III was running perfectly with 180K miles on it when I totalled it.

I have 06 v8 with 152k miles. Number of bearings replaced, radiator just went after 150k mles, spark plugs was the major issue.

Tranny still strong. Very reliable truck by my books.

What about buying vehicles over the internet and never having seen it in person? I've found plenty of decent priced V8s with lower mileage but none are really within driving distance to simply go look at it. If I went I'd be expecting to come home with it.

The number one rule in purchasing a vehicle, unless you are buying a vehicle to restore, is to physically inspect and drive the vehicle before purchasing so that you know exactly what you are getting and not what someone is telling you. There are some individuals out there that use the internet as an easy way to rip someone off, especially when it comes to vehicles. I have seen just about everything including altered VIN numbers.

Back