Buying Mountaineer-V6 or V8?

Marina97

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004-2007 Mer Mountaineer
Hi, I am going to buy a Mercury Mountaineer tomorrow. Here are my 2 choices:

2004 V8 with 38k mi. or 2007 V6 with 63k mi.

I can get both for about the same price. If everything else were equal, which would be a wiser choice?

I will be towing a utility trailer (a few weeks a year for vacations), but loaded weight will be under 2,000 lbs.

The rest of the time, I'll be doing mostly city driving. I am not too concerned about the gas mileage difference (although I hear it's negligible), but I really do prefer the 2007 body style over the 2004 body style. However, that low mileage on the 2004 is quite attractive.

Thanks for your input. Perhaps you could tell me if I should be posting this question somewhere else on the forum, and if so, where?
Sharon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Condition/Price

I have not seen both vehicles yet. Going to look at them tomorrow. I have been told that they are both in immaculate condition.

They are both at dealer lots with the same price of $16,977. I am hoping to negotiate $14k, but would buy either for $15k and feel that would be a fair price from my research of prices of similar vehicles in my area.

I also like that the 2007 has the electronic fold down rear seat feature, but if everything else were the same, that wouldn't be the deciding factor.

Finally, I would really like to purchase a 2006 V6 with 66k on it from a private party for $15k. It's a one-owner car and the guy who owns it has taken meticulous car of it and has every service record. It has an after-market 2 headrest DVD system included, which would be nice for the kids. But as of today, I've been unable to obtain financing for purchasing a privately owned vehicle.

So, that leaves me with purchasing from a dealer and getting financing at the lot. I believe I can still get a fairly competitive interest rate. I usually pay cash for my cars, but my van pooped out on me ($153k mi., air con, tranny, wheel bearing - all in one week!), and we're going on vacation next week from Seattle to Tucson towing a utility trailer, so I really need something reliable.

I've driven both a V6 and a V8, and although I wasn't impressed with the V6 power, for the type of driving I'll be doing 98% of the time (back and forth to work 8 miles, on back roads, and an occasion trip up the freeway, and out showing houses), I believe it certainly would be sufficient.

My Dad had a '98 Explorer V6, and he said the main reason he got rid of it was because of the lower powered engine with no difference in gas mileage.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I want to make a good decision tomorrow.

Used Car Lots

I have identified every used Mountaineer within 100 miles of my location. The 2004 is at a used car lot (they only sell used cars), and the 2007 is at a Chevrolet dealership on their used car lot.

I've spent quite a bit of time locating the used ones in my area, and these 2 are the best deals I've seen, aside from the 2006 private party one.

All things equal- get the V8. The mileage is for all intents and purposes the same, and you'll have the extra power.

Nobody second guesses buying a V8, but lots will say after a few months "man, I wish I had gotten the V8 engine..."

And the power fold seats- just something else to break. As much as they get folded, it's not so bad to flip a switch, but that's just my opinion on them... :)

I would say look at the private party- get a quote for a note from your bank (if financing) and find a private party truck- usually a much better deal, but it sounds like you've scoured the internet already.

Thanks!

Hi, Joe,

Thanks for the reply. My dad recommended finding a forum like this, and I must say it's been wonderful to have information that makes me feel more confident in my decision.

We did find a private party vehicle, 2006 V6 with 66k, and it was simply immaculate. It also had dual dvd's, which would have been great for the kids. However, I have been unable to secure financing to purchase a private party vehicle. The credit union has tightened up their underwriting guidelines, and my bank (Chase) does not yet offer private party financing in the State of WA, since their take-over of Washington Mutual bank. So, I am afraid I am left with dealer lot financing. But, that's just the was it is, because we are leaving for Tucson for a 10 day trip next Wednesday, pulling a utility trailer, and I simply must have a vehicle to do it with. My '99 Pontiac Montana has 153k on it and in the last month it has come to the end of it's useful life! Would cost more to fix it than I could sell it for if it was fixed.

So, off to buy a car I go. Planning on going to get one tomorrow. I am hoping to make a good choice, and all your information has been quite helpful.

Thanks again! Sharon

Good luck Sharon- let us know what you end up getting... We love pictures! :)

Back