Buying tips... what to look for. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying tips... what to look for.

Dimitrios

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum. I will probably be buying a 3rd gen in 2 weeks or so. My wife is preggers and we need something with 3rd row.

I ended up deciding on an explorer after looking at all the options out there. I have around 6-8 grand to spend. Don't want to go the mini van route and the explorer is decent on gas mileage. Seems like there are a ton out there, therefore parts should be readily available (both new and used).

My question is, what are some of the common problems I should look out for while I'm test driving/inspecting potential vehicles? Seems like the transmission is a rather common one. Rear diff whine?

BTW, I can do most repairs myself, so if there is a common problem, that is a relatively easy fix that I can use to get a steal, I'd be interested in knowing that as well;)

Your experience and expertise is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you've got it figured out with the trans and rear end whine. You may also want to check for wheel bearing noise.

I think the biggest factor is prior maintenance. If the Explorer hasn't been taken car of & fluids haven't been serviced then I would pass on it. It seems that the 4.0 & 4.6 both get around the same mileage per gallon. They are both good engines, I have the 4.0 and it's a good runner however I know the 4.6 is an even stronger proven engine that can hit well over 200k if maintained.

Check the basics, oil level & color, coolant color, any wear on the tires that is abnormal, Check the A/C and heat! make sure the blend door and motor function. You can't check the trans fluid since you have to crawl under the truck to do this. Any body repairs? just give it a really good look over & take it for a good long test drive on the highway.

I have 3 Ford vehicles in my driveway and they have always been very good to me. It's hard for me to buy anything else besides a Toyota.

So how do you put more fluid in the tranny when you service it? Is there a tube there with no dipstick? Weird.

Thanks for the help btw.

I'll post up some pics once I buy the truck.

Never mind on the tranny fill question.. post just below mine covers that.

If you can afford it I would suggest getting a fourth gen with a V-8. These seem to have addressed many of the issues the third gens suffer from.

For the third gens you have a good handle on what to look for. I would suggest looking at the rubber boots on the upper ball joints for deterioration, check any trouble codes, listen for grinding from wheel bearing/differential, smooth operation of the blend doors for climate control and look for any shifting issues with the transmission. The transmission is the real Achilles Heal on the third gens. Also, I would not consider anything but a V-8 as the V-6 engines have issues with the timing chain guides that are very expensive to repair.

Do the 4th gen v6s have the same issue?

I'm assuming I'll still be looking for an XLT if I want the 3rd row seating, correct?

I think the fourth gens about all have third row seating and it might have been a delete option was available. I don't know if the fourth gen V-6s have less issues with the timing chain guides. Maybe a quick search, or post, in the fourth gen forum will give you an answer. Things like fixing the blend door in the climate control system is much easier with fourth gens than third gens. The V-8s in the fourth gens are three valve with VVT and put out more horsepower and get better gas mileage than third gen V-8s. The fourth gen V-8s also come with a six speed transmission that doesn't seem to have any major issues like the five speeds ones in the third gens. IMO, the extra you will pay for a fourth gen will come back to you in spades by having fewer repair costs. Especially if you have to rebuild the transmission in the third gen and the odds are high that you will have to at some point.

If you had to choose... would you buy a 3rd gen v8 or a 4th gen v6?

Based on what I can afford, that looks like the decision I will have to make.

I would go more for the late build 3rd gen v8, as some of the early 3rd gen v8s had cooling issues. Something like an 04 or 05, good luck finding a 4th gen in that price range with reasonable mileage. If you do get a v6 try to find one with the 3.73 axle ratio, the 3.55 makes the underpowered truck even more of a dog, plus you will have limited slip with the 3.73.

I think with an 04 or newer you should be fairly safe as long as it's been maintained. The 4.0 timing chain issue should have been addressed by 04. I have no issues with my 04 timing chains and I'm nearing 100k. The 4.6 liter has its own spark plug issues. It's 6 of one / half a dozen of another. There are plenty of 4.0 and 4.6 Explorers on the streets that running just fine. Like I said, it really has to do a lot with the correct maintenance having been performed.

Other than the timing chains the 4.0 is a SOLID engine.

Other than the spark plug issues the 4.6 is a SOLID engine.

If you had to choose... would you buy a 3rd gen v8 or a 4th gen v6?

Based on what I can afford, that looks like the decision I will have to make.

One of the main reasons I would go for the fourth gens is to get the six speed transmission. I know the V-6 came with the same 5-speed as the third gens have but I don't know if they switched over to the six speed with them at some point. If you can get a V-6 with a six speed then I would take it over the third gen V-8. Otherwise, if mileage is close then I would take the V-8 third gen.

One other way to go is to find a third gen V-8 that needs a transmission rebuild. These can be had for very low prices and then have the transmission rebuilt yourself with all the "fixes" like the servo bore done. Then you have a reliable transmission for another 100k-150k miles and then any other repairs are easier to afford since a big looming transmission repair will be off the table. I have seen third gens with bum transmissions go for as little as $2,500. With a $2,500 tranny rebuild you are into it for $5k.

I guess I'll go with 04 or better. V8 is possible. My emphasis will be good service records and obviously how the truck looks/feels/sounds.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Out of curiosity... does the new 6 speed tranny drop right in with no mods? Or would you need modify the driveshaft, and possibly change some computer component?

I doubt it would as these newer transmissions are highly computer controlled and that might be enough to prevent any crossover use of them. The cost of doing the swap would be as much, if not more, than doing a good quality rebuild. The 5R55 transmissions can be very durable and reliable when the design flaws are corrected with a rebuild.

Back