Buying tires online | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying tires online

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tirerack.com is great. I've used them a number of times.

Joe

We put 245/75s on ours. Looks good. I wouldn't recomend buying them online. By the time you find a place to put them on and pay them. Plus shipping, you haven't saved much. I'd try to find a local place that you could get mounting and balancing at a discount price for buying tires off of them.

Like Todd said after shipping and paying a local shop to mount and balance you haven't saved that much.. I also wonder about the warranty or road hazard insurance..

Print out the tirerack online price and take it around to tire dealers in your area, most will match it no problem

I've bought tires online and in local stores - and prefer a store if I can find one that is willing to deal. Sometimes a price-match works out - other times the act as if the price I am showing them is faked in some way - it all depends on the tire and volume, I guess.

I have had a good experience both times I have bought online, but I have access to all the tire equipment in both of my two son's shops so that is no big deal to me...

Talked with the tirerack a few weeks back about some 285 Kumhos, they wanted to know what application they were for, I said my 03 trac, why.
The answere was, we will not sell to ex owners unless the truck is a 99 plus, they said suspension issues with older EXs is the reason, go figure, shades of U-Haul

spindlecone said:
Talked with the tirerack a few weeks back about some 285 Kumhos, they wanted to know what application they were for, I said my 03 trac, why.
The answere was, we will not sell to ex owners unless the truck is a 99 plus, they said suspension issues with older EXs is the reason, go figure, shades of U-Haul

they would not sell you tires? what the heck is that about?

BJ's wouldnt sell me 32" Uniroyal MT's when they found out they were going on an explorer :fire:

id like to drive by now with my 35's :p
give them the big ol :mattmoon:

Thank a "sue nation" for that crap! Nobody will do anything anymore because thier scared they'll get sued.
"you hot coffee burned me, I want 2 million"!!!

Ok one more question....do I really need LT tires for my 02 explorer. i don't plan on doing real hard offroading. I was looking at the pathfinder owls, but they're a passenger tire. I f I don't ow stuff of go "balls out" will the 4 ply tire do me right or go with the 6 ply?

Thanks for not laughing!

IMO I would get a tire that is durable. Even if you don't offroad often the additional benefits of a more durable tire would help prevent tire blisters from occasional curb contact. My wife's Windstar and Taurus came with crappy General tires from the factory. I have replaced 3 tires due to her "Accidentally" making curb contact while making right hand turns. After upgrading to some nice bridgestone's we haven't had any problems.

I agree with DeRocha about the tires... Explorers are heavy and the LT tires are much better equipped to deal with the weight.

In fact, the reason we have sort of continued the dialog in this thread is becasue some shops won't sell people some tires for their Ex's due to the tire/liability issue. I think that's a crock - but we can learn from Ford's mistake on running too light a tire.

I'm running the Dayton Timberline AT's (235 x 15) on my 97 stocker and they give really good life and great street traction. They have held up really well compared to the softer "car type" tires it had before and I don't have to worry if I get a wild idea about stuffing the rear area full to the roof...

glfredrick said:
I'm running the Dayton Timberline AT's (235 x 15) on my 97 stocker and they give really good life and great street traction.

Yea we started stocking those Dayton's early this past summer where i work.. they're a really good tire, especially for the price. If you're looking for a good tire for your truck thats based on an AT, but can compete with pure highway tires- check those out.. They wont do as good as the BFG's or Bridgestones off-road, but you just told us that you werent planning on doing a lot of wheeling. And they're a HUGE step (more like a rocket up) from a passenger tire.

Pheonixx77 said:
they would not sell you tires? what the heck is that about?
Was not a problem for me, mine is an 03, but if your 98 or less
you need to lie to them

id try costco...if you have them in your area
I just had them order my Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's and they were the best price around.
$100.99 for tire........$9.99 mounting/balancing per tire

Were shipped within 3 days (Free Shipping)
great tire so far...cant wait for the snow to fly!

I looked at the costco websitwe and your right the price is the best BUT the Bridgestone Dueler A/T's were A "P" tire. doesn't that mean 4 ply? I did not see anything named Revo though.
Have to go and look at Costco myself i guess.

Costco does have good prices on tires.. The tires you want may not be in the store, but ask to see if they can be ordered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back