Buying used 2006-2010 explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying used 2006-2010 explorer

More Clarification

Gang,

I am having trouble finding the V8 with the other options we are looking for... I have also looked at 4Runners, Pathfinders, and Envoys. There are a lot more V6/I6's available than the V8. Other than sheer power can anyone explain the pros and cons of a V8 versus the V6 in a mid sized SUV. Again I am looking to tow a 17 ft Inboard/Outboard boat. I don't think it's weight is much over 2000 lbs., which will certainly keep me under the 3500 tow max for most of the V6 model SUV's. Nonetheless it seems like most people are still recommending a V8.

Any clarification would really help. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Used V8's tend to get snapped up by dealers at auction, check around area Ford & Lincoln dealerships.

I tried a neighbors 2005 V6 Explorer towing my 17' boat before I bought my 2006 V8. Getting up to speed to merge onto the highway was significantly improved while towing with the V8.

The V8 also has a more robust transmission for towing.

Also, highway towing will be more comfortable/quieter with the V8 as the RPMs won't be as high. Takes a lot of the stress out of towing.

For towing a 2000 pound trailer, the V8 is not a necessity, but it's sure nice.

But the advantages of the V8 (versus the old V6) are significant for daily use. Much more power, more refinement, equal gas mileage, better 6 speed transmission are some of the advantages.

IMO, best to keep looking for the V8, now being a good time while gas prices remain high.

V8 will grow with you if you get a bigger boat down the road too.

I second the transmission point. I got 122 K miles on my 06 v8 and the tranny is still strong, that's with plowing and towing. I did the flush at around 60k and 120k to keep thing healthy.

Are you looking at Mountaineers, too?
I also agree that V8 is nice, but if the boat and trailer is truely remain under 2000 lbs, you could stick to a V6 model, and not even need the towing package (3500 lbs rating). If you are over 2500 lbs, I'd want at least the V6 with towing package (around 5500 rating). If over 4000 lbs, I'd want the V8 with towing package.

The reason you need a gap between the loaded trailer weight and the max rating is because you must include any passenger/cargo weight in the Explorer. if you have 2200 lbs of boat/trailer, 600 lbs of passengers, and 300 lbs of cargo in the truck, your max tow rating is decreased by 900 lbs (600 + 300). In other words, the max tow rating is only available if the truck is empty (the driver is allowed).

The only other thing to watch out for is the weak exhaust manifold gasket, on the passenger side. These tend to go the 06+ V8's. I'd try to find out if it had been replaced or not if you could. Easy to spot when the engine is cold. You might think its a noisy lifter. You would be wrong. Its a very common short coming of the V8. But, the other advantages of the V8 outweigh the V6 as others have pointed out.

Good luck in the hunt and try to be patient.

;)

Back