Buying used 2015 Explorer, question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying used 2015 Explorer, question.

Tvnorm123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer Limited
Just put a deposit on a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited from a local Ford dealer. It is not certified and has about 31k miles. I am going to read up on the threads about warranties. The only other complaint I read about was the rear brakes dragging. I didn't seem to notice that.

I found some paint bubbling on hood and they will cover that under warranty and fix it prior to delivery.

Anything else I should look out for? The truck looks like it is in good condition otherwise. Carfax is clean.

Very excited to drive an Explorer. I had a 97 Mountaineer and loved it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh well. I'll do my best to look it over real well after the hood is painted and make sure it gets through the shop for an inspection.

Oh well. I'll do my best to look it over real well after the hood is painted and make sure it gets through the shop for an inspection.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You should check the spare tire well for signs of moisture. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/water-leak.327803/
If you get a chance to test drive it, check out this thread. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...st-smell-in-cabin-during-acceleration.323597/ (not to be confused with a momentary rotten egg or sulphur smell which is usually produced by most cars)
Make sure that the MFT software has been updated to the latest version V3.10. This is a dealer only upgrade.
Check that the rearview camera works and that the guidelines are there. If your Limited as Active Park Assist, then the camera should also have 'Active Guidelines' that move when you turn the steering wheel.
If it has Active Park Assist, see if the salesman can demonstrate it by setting up a couple of cars to park between. That is what mine did for me.
Try the power liftgate button on the dash to ensure the 'gate' opens and closes.
If it has remote start, give that a try as well.

Peter

Thanks for the reply. Heavy rains last nigh and everything seems dry. Very comfortable ride.
Tow hitch will be my first project.

Thanks for the reply. Heavy rains last nigh and everything seems dry. Very comfortable ride.
Tow hitch will be my first project.

What are you planning on towing? If it doesnt have the factory tow package, you can only tow up to 2,000lbs regardless of whatever hitch you put on.

I plan on using a bike rack and I have a Utility trailer that I use for light weight hauls.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and would rather talk to real owners and not some person who drove the vehicle for a weekend. With that being said, my wife and I are in the market for a SUV and the explorers came up. 2014-2015.

How are they in terms of reliability? I have looked at consumer reports, true Delta websites and more and seems the consensus Is that the explorers are decently reliable.

I know bad reviews/experiences spreads more than good ones. So that's why I'm going to real Explorer owners.Thoughts?

We've also been considering, Acadias, Durangos, CX-9.

Thank you!

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and would rather talk to real owners and not some person who drove the vehicle for a weekend. With that being said, my wife and I are in the market for a SUV and the explorers came up. 2014-2015.

How are they in terms of reliability? I have looked at consumer reports, true Delta websites and more and seems the consensus Is that the explorers are decently reliable.

I know bad reviews/experiences spreads more than good ones. So that's why I'm going to real Explorer owners.Thoughts?

We've also been considering, Acadias, Durangos, CX-9.

Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
This type of question has come up several times. In addition to the thread linked in the above post, you may also want to check out; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2012-vs-2014-vs-2016.463787/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/should-i-get-the-explorer.452210/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/used-explorer-2014-2015-or-wait.444513/
It may also be an idea to scan through the various threads in the 5th generation forum to get an idea as to what issues have been discussed. There is also a handy 'Search' feature in the upper right that can be used to find threads/post.
One thing to keep in mind is that many people have come here when searching the Internet for a particular issue they are having so you will likely find many posts here about problems than posts about the positive aspects of the Explorer. I'm on my 2nd Explorer and looking forward to the redesigned 2020 models. I tend to be a low mileage driver and have been very, very pleased with my Explorer experiences. BTW, I lease my vehicles for 3-4 years.

Peter

Back