Buzzing sound when NOT using turn signal, hazards or brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buzzing sound when NOT using turn signal, hazards or brakes

vbmike73

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT
I have a 2004 Sport Trac. I just started having a very loud buzzing sound as soon as the ignition is on, and it buzzes constantly. The only thing that makes it stop buzzing is if the turn signal is on, the hazards are on, or I'm applying the brakes. I've isolated where the sound is coming from. It's from a small rectangular black box above the accelerator pedal. It has some electrical tape wrapped around it. You can feel it vibrating. I'v attached some pictures. Any ideas? Thanks!

8755816572_c3ce997de8.jpg

8754694847_00ff6463de.jpg

8754694795_bb1a83b2e6.jpg

8754694827_eae182e991.jpg

8755816484_c86bdc5ebd.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

vbmike,
You are looking at (what I think of as a useless) cover for the 'auxiliary relay box". Look at the image you posted that shows 5 lines, with the center 3 being blue. You are actually looking at the blue turn signal flasher through those slits. The first thing you need to do is remove the cover. That tape has the strength of old masking tape so it pulls away and breaks pretty easily. The cover is 5" long with retainers on each end. There is no reason I can think of to replace that cover so just push and pull and yank on the retainers until the the cover comes off. That will expose 3 relays. You were actually feeling the buzzing of the relay through the cover. Again, that big blue one is the T/S flasher. You can get a replacement at your local auto parts store. Novita EP27 or equivalent. These flashers are electronic and while I have never heard of one acting the way yours is, its way more than even money that simply replacing that blue one (almost certainly the original ) will fix your problem.

First off all, thank you SO MUCH for replying. I could tell right away you knew what you were talking about. I got in there just like you said, flimsy tape and all, and felt the blue switch vibrating. Which by the way, the vibrating has decreased considerably, sometimes not making a noise for a minute at a time. But still highly annoying. I took it out and went to Advance Auto. They said they'd have to special order it, and it was $45, but then I gave him the part number you listed. He pointed to it for $15 on the shelf, and it looked identical. Thanks again! Unfortunately when I plugged it in, it just continuously made a slightly different pitch turn signal sound. Just as if I had the signal on. So now what? I wonder if eventually the blue one will just stop buzzing altogether? Obviously the turn signal itself is not affected by this. Everything works perfectly. So odd. Any other advice you have would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. I am a little confused regarding your " I wonder if eventually the blue one will just stop buzzing altogether?"

Did you swap out that original blue one with the new one you purchased?

In any case, the pins on the flasher should be as follows:

WHT BLU = 12V+ Hot in run
RED WHT = 12V+ Always Hot
BLK = Ground
LBLU = 12V+ off-on with signals on
WHT RED = 12v+ off-on with hazards on.

I now think you are looking at replacing the actual turn signal switch.
Sorry I lead you down the wrong path but probably a good investment at just 15 bucks after the beating the old has been taking.
Looks like the Motorcraft unit is just shy of a hundred bucks.
If you decide to do that and are not sure how to swap it out let me know.

Well what I mean is, the buzzing sound used to be a solid buzzing, nonstop until you put the signal on. But over the last couple weeks, it's starting to die off. Now it makes little spurts of buzzing sounds, sometimes silent for a whole minute. So I'm just wondering, if I let it go long enough, will it just stop making noise all together. And maybe that would mean my turn signal wouldn't make a noise anymore either, which I'm ok with, as long as it's still blinking properly.

When I put the new relay in, it was a brand new signal noise, like a different turn signal sound. And it was a constant turn signal noise, just like my signal was on. So not a solid noise, but just the blinking noise. Hope that makes sense. But this noise is even more consistent than the old blue one that's "dying".

By turn signal switch, you mean replace the actual lever I'm guessing? I had thought about that as well, and maybe I'll have to.

That's the one, and at a good price. It is pretty easy to swap out too.

Before you order the switch, try tilting the steering column all the way UP if equipped.

The Gen 1 ST's have a known issue with the MFS harness being too short and binding. GL

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...LMhoFg&usg=AFQjCNGBfwJj8iKvoQL94gQCLg_dGvXsEg
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...6YDwAg&usg=AFQjCNHIkd-unYlNn1GGl02CO0TpB_Gjww
https://www.google.com/url? sa=t&rc...6YDwAg&usg=AFQjCNGURlVn4oQXid4ZNwSQuhFw2uf8Iw
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...6YDwAg&usg=AFQjCNFsQd4sVbSnxecZ8qkzDL8kGOHwhg
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...6YDwAg&usg=AFQjCNEHUe6maX1rVgM17se0x8XCMNSVdw

Worth a shot. It's an 04 so I wouldn't consider that a first gen though. The more I think about it, I think I'm just tempted to let it ride and see if the noise stops. with 248K miles on it, who cares if the blinker doesn't click eventually. As long as the lamp lights, I'm good. Thanks for all the help though guys! I really appreciate it! I'll update this if I do anything to it.

Back