BW1354e into a 2nd gen

WormsExplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Durango
Gonna do a little write up on my 1354e into a 2nd gen 97 Explorer. I have searched EVERY where as much as I can to see if it has been done and no one that I found was able to show that it was done or not. First my 97 TC was out. I got it running put into 4x4 and tried to flex her and all I heard was a lot of rattling. Took it out and this is what I saw after splitting the case.
TC 02.jpg

SO I got another BW4405 and got it installed. Got everything buttoned up and again would not work at all. SO I went on line and explained what happen. A friend offered me a BW1354 out of a 93 explorer. It had the VSS in the tail of it and a shift motor. No looking at the TC and seeing how it worked like the 4405 I decided why not just hook up the wires from My old TC motor and mount it on there hook it up and let see what happens. So I did. I spliced together the Blue wire and green wire together. I took pics hope this helps someone.
TC electrical 02_LI.jpg
The Circled Wires are the ones that I hooked up. Here is a bigger picture of the TC and I have circled where the 2 wires come out of.
TC electrical_LI.jpg
After doing this hard work of getting the wires soldered and shrink wrapped and motor mounted got it installed into my Explorer. I right now do not have a front Drive line but after getting her installed rear drive lined hooked up I started her up and did a test. She Shifted into 4hi no problem even showed on the Dash indicator. Let the brake go and everything moved including the front. Stepped on brake and then shifted into 4lo and again let the brake go and again everything worked. Indicator and everything moving. I have yet to try and shift on the fly and not really worried about doing that. Will not be driving her daily and will not need to shift on the fly into 4hi. Just got it done but have not been able to get her on the trail. I will report as the days go on. She did drive just fine with it all installed.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

okay so what you are doing here is known as a control trac delete.
You MIGHT need to do some more modifications to the truck if you get flashing 4x4 lights.......since this is a 97 it may or may not care that the feedback sensors from the old control trac t case are now missing
If you get flashing 4x4 lights your t case will probably quit shifting
I can help, it involves changing your gem module to a 2wd version and wiring in a 2004+ Ranger stand alone 4x4 control module, AKA the "motorolla box"

Well done so far!

Thank you 410. I am not sure if this helps or not but mine is the pre 97.5 explorer. But I will keep you all posted on this as time goes on.

Im going to be sending @WormsExplorer a motorolla 4x4 control box from a 02+ ranger so it can be wired in to control the 1354e shift t case, this is the proper way to doa control trac delete when using the 1354e

Watch this thread for the wiring info and install!

Or you could just put in a manual t case.:dunno:

yes yes I always use a manual t case, but not everybody wants to get rid of the dash switch
LOL
Sometimes we build these trucks with the why? because we can!

One of my good friends and customers is a mailman, he drives nothing but 5.0 v8 explorers because his route is high in the rockies, in mountain communities, and he swears by the reliability of the gen II platform with the 302.
Like many other mail carriers he actually sits in the passenger seat and drives the ex from that side, working the pedals and steering wheel from the pass side.
He uses a tractor knob on the wheel and we remove the center console.
Well the AWD is good most times but on his route in the mud and snow 4x4 is better, he cannot have the lever coming through the floor...so I did the e shift case for him and to control it....the 02+ motorolla box.

Many v8 people freak out when you tell them if they go 4x4 they will have to cut a hole in the floor and have a lever.....4x4 lever what's that?? more lol
Plus the 4406m t case prices are WAY higher then the 4406e....so.....that is where I come in. And this same box will easily control the 1354e so it is a natural fit when doing a control trac delete and wanting to keep your 4x dash switch, your t case motor, your t case wiring and the explorer GEM module and all of its functions
It is THAT not hard to wire up the motorolla box.

Fun fact, the Gen I Ranger/BII and explorer used a stand alone 4x4 control module for the "touch drive" 4x4 system...in 95 for whatever reason they used the Gem module to also control the 4x4....then in 2002 they went back to a stand alone control module...and you should too!! LMFAO

Back