• Register Today It's free!

Bw4405 Shift Rail bore bushings

Kwilride89

Reaction score
City, State
Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
Is there anywhere I can order bushings or sleeves that will fit the shift rail? Or something else that will fit? I can machine down the outside to fit the case but the inside is a bit more difficult. Shift rail mics out to be around 5/8

May look here.
Omega Machine & Tool Inc. Home Page
There are after market case halves available. Going to be hard to indicate and find center on old case with no known dimensions. Good luck.

Thank you. I saw those case halves, I've also emailed them an inquiry about the bushings they use in their case halves, I just prefer to do my own work. I've managed to drill out a bronze bushing from the hardware store to fit snuggly around the shift rail. Now i'm working on opening up the bores on the case half to seet the bushing. I've done the best I can to true it up and keep it aligned. If the rail is trued enough to close the case, is there any reason to suspect that would cause a problem? I could see maybe one side of the Hi-Lo collar making contact before the other but it should be slight, and only when shifting between 4lo and 4 hi.

That range hub doesn’t have much contact area on the splines that engages it. All you can do is try. Good luck and keep us updated.

Back