BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen

In going through our list of useful threads I found that all of the photos in the first post are gone.

If you have photos to replace these please let me know.

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the writeup. I'll give you 6 months of Elite Explorer privileges for it. I do have a request though. Once your Elite membership is active, please upload the photos to this site, so the photos will always stay with the thread.

'

Guess this didn't work :(

hey good writeup and I am interested in attempting this mod. is there anyway to retrieve the pictures?

I did the mod a few months ago. Works fine and haven't hurt my truck in any way so I am pleased that I have the option. All I did was interrupt the wire with a switch. No relay or anything like that. Works perfect.

Where did you end up putting the switch?

MAJOR UPDATE!!!!

I was driving around on the lake and we found an plowed section of ice that the guy plowing said we could drift on. At one point I accidentally had it is 2x4 when I thought it was in 4x4 and I spun the living crap out the the rear tires. I got suspicious of why I wasn't going anywhere so I looked over and realized I wasn't in 4x4. That being said it seems I haven't done any damage to it. Honestly especially after this, I feel like even if it did go bad it wouldn't be cause of it being run in 4x4. I feel like it is a "safety" feature that was done after the rollover years but....I don't really know for sure so I am still not going to push it.

Sure would be nice if a Moderator would clean up the unnecessary posts. Lot's of good stuff in here, but not 24 pages worth. Just say'n, if it's gonna be a sticky, it should be a little cleaner. I understand it is time consuming.
People keep doing this mod and no one is posting pics? What gives?

2004 Explorer/Mountaineer Wiring Diagrams
Electronic Shift Control

photo2_zps40dd2a6d.jpg

photo1_zps135d97d5.jpg

Disregard this message, can't delete messages apparently. Finally got the hang of this forum stuff I think hah. Ive never been in one before...

Explorer0204 how many amps is your switch?

Thanks p doggy for the original info man btw!

A 10 Amp switch is all you need - mine is a 10Amp and have had it in since last year, and we keep it mostly on (since I prefer to have it in Auto 4WD mode anyway, which means it runs 2WD except when it detects slippage then it diverts power to the front).

Anyone know what size (AWG) the brown wire is?

Anyone know what size (AWG) the brown wire is?

In my first pic above, lower left hand corner, second wire from left, is the only solid brown wire I can see. It is the positive supply to the transfer case and is 16 awg.

It's the fatter of the 2 brown wires going into the transfer case.

If I pull the 4x4 shift motor fuse will that work meanwhile?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back