Bypass oil filter (amsoil) size problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bypass oil filter (amsoil) size problem

dpappyp

Reaction score
City, State
milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
I just bought a remote dual oil filter setup and an amsoil bypass filter to go with it. Problem is, the amsoil bypass filter thread size (1"-16 i believe, not 100% sure) is bigger than the dual filter mount's (perma-cool) threads (3/4"-16). Stupid I know. Is there an adapter out there to use a bigger filter on a smaller mount? I've looked all over the internet and searched these forums, but can't find one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Is there an adapter out there to use a bigger filter on a smaller mount? I've looked all over the internet and searched these forums, but can't find one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Did you ever find an adapter to solve your problem? Your dual filter system was probably not designed for a bypass filter. I have a very old (about 20 years) remote oil filter/cooler system I bought from J.C.Whitney that I plan to install. It mentions an adapter sleeve for vehicles with a larger filter. I suspect the different nipple size is to prevent the inadvertant installation of a bypass filter where a full flow filter is required. The kit also includes a conversion plate and gasket for the larger filter. You will probably have to buy a bypass adapter from AMSOIL and screw it into one of the full flow connections. Make sure there is enough distance between the two filter mounts to accommodate the larger diameter bypass filter.

Back