Bypass oil filter installation | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bypass oil filter installation

that's the way to go if you plan on keeping your truck for a while and like hassle and problem free driving. Engine should last forever. Great idea. Gives me something to think about with only 17,000 miles on the odo of my Mounty. Thanks for the great write-up! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another nice part of the bypass system is that you can remove it and reinstall on the next vehicle.

I took a look at the oil today ( after 3k miles ) and low and behold it look like oil that had been in the truck for 1 day.

Oil analysis data soon.

I can't wait to do this to my X.. that along with changing over to synthetic.. and I'm probably going to follow your idea on the extra filter and cooler for the tranny as well.

as soon as it warms-up a bit around here I'm gonna do the same on my Mounty... I have only 19,000 miles on it so far so it's a perfect time. Great way to keep my truck healthy... I don't know about the warranty though... no oil changes? they might not honor it if I have a problem.

Dre said:
as soon as it warms-up a bit around here I'm gonna do the same on my Mounty... I have only 19,000 miles on it so far so it's a perfect time. Great way to keep my truck healthy... I don't know about the warranty though... no oil changes? they might not honor it if I have a problem.

Just change the oil at their "required"nterval while still under warranty.

I pulled an oil sample to send to Blackstone Labs for the 5k UOA today.

The oil did not look like 5k mile old oil nor did it smell like it either. The oil had the "new oil" smell and was a little darker than virgin oil,

The UOA plus TBN and particle count data will be posted in about a week.

I need to change my oil, got the "Change Oil Soon" warning message on my message center. I don't think I'll have the $$ to do the bypass kit install right now, but I want to change to Syn from dino. Do you think it'd be foolish to put some Amsoil oil in there, only to change it out again when I put the by-pass kit on?

Is there a cheaper place to find Amsoil? They have it on their website for $8.50 a quart. I know it's worth it, but any $ saved helps.

Hey aldive. Next time you go to change your oil could you take a pic of the oil you are sending in for a sample and the oil you are going to be putting in? I think this would give us a better idea of how this really works. I have seen it before, but I think the others might realize this is a great benifit for 300 bucks. We all know how much an engine cost, so I think this is a well spent 300 dollars and plus you don't need to change your oil for 10-12k miles. This sounds like a good plan to me, oil changes suck imo.

Nice write up btw. Very impressive how well this system works. You did a nice job on the install too, very clean looking. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ditto, another little project, after my big 93/99 project. :thumbsup:
Don

mechanix said:
Hey aldive. Next time you go to change your oil could you take a pic of the oil you are sending in for a sample and the oil you are going to be putting in?

I will be happy to shoot the pictures that you requested, however, remember the color of the oil has nothing to do with its UOA.

mechanix said:
We all know how much an engine cost, so I think this is a well spent 300 dollars and plus you don't need to change your oil for 10-12k miles. :

I have gone 22k miles before the bypass system was installed; I am now looking to go at least 50k, hopefully 100k.

The UOA at 22k miles ( no bypass ):

Aluminum 12
Chromium 2
Iron 42
Copper 19
Lead 22
Zinc 3
Molybdenum 8
Nickel 3
Manganese 3
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 4
Boron 6
Silicon 14
Sodium 8
Calcium 2398
Magnesium 437
Phosphorus 916
Zinc 1288
Barium 0

Oil used - Amsoil Series 2000 0w30

Al, without reading the instructions for that oil filtering system, what is the flow routing. Is the bypass filter the first, and main filter? It's doing most of the work, yes?
Don

Don, the bypass system draws about 10% of the oil flow to the filter(s) at any given time and sends that to the bypass filter, the remaining 90% goes to the full flow filter.

Changed the full flow filter today and pulled a sample for a UOA at Blackstone. Data in a few days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My only comment is that the filtering does not filter out dilution of water and fuel entering the oil, especially people who make only short trips. In 3000 miles you could have a dipdtick that says FULL but there are 4 quarts of oil and the other fuel and water????

Back