Bypass oil filter installation | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bypass oil filter installation

wpurple said:
My only comment is that the filtering does not filter out dilution of water and fuel entering the oil, especially people who make only short trips. In 3000 miles you could have a dipdtick that says FULL but there are 4 quarts of oil and the other fuel and water????

The Amsoil bypass filter doe indeed trap water.

UOA is a great tool to determine the health of your oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exactly, that is why you do the testing, to verify that only oil is in the oil. Regards,

I have to pipe in and say that I've run Amsoil Series 2000 for the majority of my '97 5.0's life of 126k miles (so far). I've recently done an oil analysis, but have mostly just changed the oil every 10-12k (or about 1x per year), and the filter (if I wasn't lazy) every 6 months (I've been lazy a lot). Gas mileage has consistently been 15mpg with Amsoil 0W-30, and 12-13 without. I did decide that I waited too long to change the ATF and everything else over to Amsoil, and plan to do it sooner on my wife's new minivan.

The oil analysis is definitely worthwhile. I did my first one at about 120k miles, and although the contaminents, etc, were OK, the viscosity was off, so called for a change. If I had more data from when the car was new I might know why it was out of spec with only 12k on it. I've used the Amsoil filters (no bypass). My dealer is running with no oil change, only standard filter (every 6 months) on his Dodge Diesel, and last I talked to him I think he was at 40k or more.

aldive said:
Post your UOA data, please.

If I get time tonight I will scan it and provide a link.

Al,

1) Did the kit come with excess hose that you cut down?
2) Did you install the hose fittings at home, or did you have to have them professionally crimped?
3) Did you end up installing the temp gauge, and if so, what are your temp readings?

Here is the Amsoil info:
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/bf.aspx
I'm guessing he had to buy the hoses for that, but I didn't read all of the details. Like I said, I've been running the Amsoil spin-on filter for the life of the vehicle.

V8BoatBuilder said:
Al,

1) Did the kit come with excess hose that you cut down?
2) Did you install the hose fittings at home, or did you have to have them professionally crimped?
3) Did you end up installing the temp gauge, and if so, what are your temp readings?

Aaron,

(1) kit came with the hose; if more is needed it can be ordered
(2) fittings done at home in minutes
(3) no temp gauger yet

I stand corrected, as Al noted. Here are the instructions from Amsoil, which give you a good idea of the installation of the hoses:

D. Oil feed and return lines
Note: The hose and hose fittings supplied with this kit have been matched to provide maximum performance and life expectancy. Interchanging with other types or brands is not recommended and should be avoided. Should additional hose be required, it may be obtained from AMSOIL INC. by ordering part number BP-188.

1. (Oil supply hose) Measure the amount of hose (BP-188) you will need to run from the Red colored port (labeled Out) on the spin-on adapter to the port with the arrow pointing In, on the filter mount. Additional length will be required to accommodate engine movement during operation. Also consider how the hose will be routed. Make sure the hose does not contact any hot or moving surfaces or sharp edges. Ensure a minimum bend radius of 1-1/2" is maintained at all corners. Also, bends in hose should not begin at hose fittings. See diagrams D and G for additional details.

2. Using a utility knife, squarely cut the hose to the proper length.

3. Install hose fittings (BP-187) on both ends of the hose. Follow the instructions noted in diagram F. Tools required are one 7/8" wrench and one 15/16" wrench or vise. Note: Do not use any form of thread sealant anywhere on the BP-187 hose fittings.

4. Route the hose assembly as noted in D.1 and connect the hose fittings. Note: Optional 90° or 45° angle fittings may be installed at this time between the hose fittings and spin-on-adapter (see instruction B-5). The 90° and 45° angle fittings are optional accessories and must be ordered separately.

5. Using two 7/8" wrenches, tighten hose fitting swivel nuts and swivel nuts on angle fittings (if used) to 525-575 inch pounds or from finger tight, rotate an additional 60° or 1/6 of a turn. Note: Do not use any form of thread sealant anywhere on the hose or angle fittings.

6. (Oil return hose) Repeat steps D.1 through D.5. Connect hose at port labeled In on the spin-on adapter to the port with the arrow pointing Out, on the filter mount.

7. Use plastic ties (BP-46) to secure hose in position and away from damage. Trim ties using side cutter. Note: Over tightening the plastic ties may cause the hose to collapse and restrict oil flow.

8. Fill the provided Full-Flow and By-Pass Filters with the same motor oil being used in the vehicle. Lubricate the filter gasket with oil and spin filter onto mount. Tighten one full turn after filter gasket first contacts mount, back off 1/8".

aldive said:
Post your UOA data, please.

This is after, I think, 12k miles, but maybe up to 16k, but it was over a year. Additives looked OK, but Viscosity out of spec for some reason. I need to build more data, but haven't done another analysis yet. The link below should show you a picture of the analysis data.

http://www.scubajoe.net/oilanalysis.jpg

-Joe

Attachments

• oil temp sender.jpg
    oil temp sender.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 721

hi i'm new, a seasoned mechanic, and a explorer road warrior.
Is 0w-30 considered a straight weight 30 like lawn mowers like? do you use it in your mower too?

0-30 is now a common weight oil for newer vehicles. It is a multi-viscocity oil 0-30W, not straight 30W. Regards,

I'm looking forward to that Al. I will be doing the bypass system to both of my SUV's. I'd like to only have to change oil once a year. Regards,

i just spent the last hour lookin over your data and reading this post. I just wonder though if its worth doing on my motor that will be turning 140k in a week prolly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[QUOTE='97 V8]i just spent the last hour lookin over your data and reading this post. I just wonder though if its worth doing on my motor that will be turning 140k in a week prolly.[/QUOTE]

A bypass oil filter system is worth it on any motor. Of course, the newer the motor is, the longer it will last.

Remember,, when its time to trade the trick, simply remove the bypass system and use it on the next one.

PM me about a special prie ce on a new Amsoil unit.

Back