Bypass oil filter installation | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bypass oil filter installation

25k UO sample taken today; will mail to Blackstone in the morning.

Data report soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a question about oil pressure. With a finer filter (lower micron rating) it should drop the flow rate. I know that the bypass system should compensate, but if it filters at such a fine rate, wouldn't the bypass be doing most of the work, and not the actual primary filter? What is your average oil pressure with a new filter, and with one at the time of an oil change when the filter is ready to be replaced? One last thing, your temperature gauge said that your oil was 200 degrees. Did you see any improvement with that cooler sleeve going around it?

BrooklynBay said:
I had a question about oil pressure. With a finer filter (lower micron rating) it should drop the flow rate. I know that the bypass system should compensate, but if it filters at such a fine rate, wouldn't the bypass be doing most of the work, and not the actual primary filter? What is your average oil pressure with a new filter, and with one at the time of an oil change when the filter is ready to be replaced?

One last thing, your temperature gauge said that your oil was 200 degrees. Did you see any improvement with that cooler sleeve going around it?

I do not measure oil pressure.

The Cool Collar does work; take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142671&highlight=cool+collar

The oil supply ( from motor to bypass manifold ) and return lines have frayed badly and a slight oil leak is occurring.

New hose has been ordered from Amsoil and will be here soon.

I believe the problem was caused by exhaust heat. The new hose will be wrapped in header tape.

Aldive,

Does the model bypass system you have allow the after-the-fact installation of the Amsoil preoiler like I know some do? If it is, have you ever considered getting a preoiler?

The price is the big issue, being over $300 for just the pump. I found a preoiler pump from Mallory that I never used, it was about $120 I recall. I'll put that on my new V8 engine, I hadn't decided about the Amsoil unit yet for my V6.

It's a really great product for all vehicles, but it shouldn't be so expensive.

Aldive,

Does the model bypass system you have allow the after-the-fact installation of the Amsoil preoiler like I know some do? If it is, have you ever considered getting a preoiler?

Yes it does, However, I have not considered using one.

I need to get mine installed, I have put it off and been using up my Pennzoil synthetic. That oil does not last as long, the Pennzoil does get used up much faster than Amsoil. I was showing about half a quart low with about 5500-6000 miles on the oil. The Amsoil was nearly full on the stick at 9500 miles.

The extra quart and a half of the bypass filter will help capacity and the oil life.

what would be the difference between installing the entire system or just installing the bypass filter in place of the standard filter?

what would be the difference between installing the entire system or just installing the bypass filter in place of the standard filter?

Don't try that. The bypass filter is intended to only filter a tiny amount of oil at a time compared to the full flow filter. There is a tiny restriction built into the bypass filter adapter to limit oil flow. The hole is about 0.050" in size. You need the full flow filter, the bypass filter is just to get the tiny stuff about 2-3 microns in size. Regular filters let particles under about 15-20 microns through.

You can buy just the basic bypass adapter for about $30, the other costs are the $35 filter and the extra lines and fittings.

Don't try that. The bypass filter is intended to only filter a tiny amount of oil at a time compared to the full flow filter. There is a tiny restriction built into the bypass filter adapter to limit oil flow. The hole is about 0.050" in size. You need the full flow filter, the bypass filter is just to get the tiny stuff about 2-3 microns in size. Regular filters let particles under about 15-20 microns through.

You can buy just the basic bypass adapter for about $30, the other costs are the $35 filter and the extra lines and fittings.

thanks for the info. i figured it wasn't really a good idea but wanted to check first.

Back