• Register Today It's free!

Bypassing NSS.. Low range wire?

Totalled

Reaction score
City, State
Tumwater, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII Eddie Bauer
Hi. I've put a C5 into my 1992 4 door 4x4 with the 1354 electric shift t-case. I searched and didn't find the answer I was looking for. I'm using the NSS on the C5.. splicing wires from the 5 pin from the A4LD. I have the crank and reverse light circuits figured for splicing. My question is about the red/white wire that tells the shift modual it's okay to shift into low range. Does this wire need to see 12v+ or is it supposed to be grounded for it to shift into low range? An article I read covering the C5 conversion said to splice the red/white, pink, and lt blue/red wires all together... A wiring diagram I looked at looked like it showed the red/white wire going to ground.... so... if this wire is supposed to be grounded... it doesn't' seem correct to just splice it into the cranking circuit wires?

it gets the same signal as the other NSS circuit wires.

it can get tricky because some trucks had a auto and some had a 5 speed.
the curcuit for the NSS ran through the 3 position clutch switch and also of course to the auto trans.
On 5 speed trucks it simply did a U turn when it got to the trans wiring harness, on auto trucks it continued on to the trans neautral safety switch.

on the 5 speed trucks this is taken care of by pressing in the clutch, on auto trucks the 3 position clutch switch is simply jumpered.

So basically Ford used one engine harness under the hood for both trucks, so any changes are made at the 3 pos clutch switch or in the transmission harness. make sense?

When the truck is in N the neautral sensor in your trans does indeed ground the wire.

if you ground the red/white electric shift 4x4 wire all the time you can switch your electric t case into low range any time you want = NOT GOOD.

I would splice it in with the other NSS circuit wires, so the t case can only go into LOW when you are indeed in N

capiche?

I ripped all of this wiring out of my truck, well the un necessary stuff, since I am an automatic and will never go back to a 5 speed in the BII I removed the 3 position clutch switch wiring and the loop around stuff in the trans harness to make things easier. You see the wire went from the key switch to the clutch switch then through the firewall and to the trans and then back through the firewall to the computer, etc so it loops around alot. I removed the loops.......

bottom line in case your head is about to explode (not the best at explaining this stuff without drawinga a diagram) the signal from NSS is in fact a ground, but only when in N, the signal is sent directly to the PCM or GEM module that controls your t case shift motor, starter curcuit, and cruise control

Okay. So the dark blue/yellow wire in the black fender liner plug that had the Trans solenoids must ground it in the ecu... cause it's also spliced to the pink cranking circuit wire that's in with the other wires in the grey fender liner plug.

SUNP0112-1.jpg

So, I'll put the pink and red/white wire on one side of the switch, and the red/lt blue wire on the other side of the switch.

Thanks. :)

Back