• Register Today It's free!

Bypassing power steering.

1991 sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Lompoc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 eddie bauer
I'm taking everything off serpentine except alternator and water pump... Going with electric fan... No power steering ac... Anybody done this...what length belt did u use? Trying to do no idler pulley or anything. Let me know your opinion... Open to criticism maybe I'll do something else.
16061069440873610834528537336137.jpg

Idc what direction the alternator turns I'm guessing water pump needs to go same direction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Removing a bunch of weight inside and out minimizing everything. According didn't work power steering made noise.. Really cleaning up under the hood kinda got it all off already anyways. I know it's going to be hard to steer this is like my 4th vehicle.

Going around the crank pulley backside water pump and around the alternator with a tensioner.

Why dont you just fix them instead of removing so you can have ac and not a gym session every time you drive? But its your truck, you can always just get a crafts measuring tape from walmart or whatever(i forget what there called) there just a fabric type made measuring tape and go around all your pulleys. Have someone hold your tensioner in though when you do it so that when you release it, its putting tension on the belt.

Lol 🏋️‍♂️ good point I'm going to try it if I don't like it I'll keep the power steering stuff.

The rebuild kits are cheap, and its not hard just messy, also i think rebuilding the orignal works better than a reman becasue being the people we are we take a little extra care on cleaning replacing ect more attention to detail.

You definitely don’t want to remove power steering pump. Not that I care about your driving feeling, rather with the P/S pulley there you get proper belt wrap on your water pump. The less wrap you have the more likelihood your water pump will slip and your engine will over heat.

Not that I care about your driving feeling
That hurts my driving feelings lol I'm going to give it a shot... I'll post pics I'm thinking it's going to squeal when I get on it we Will see how it goes.

just rememeber to have the tensioner pulled when you measure so it pulls on belt and if that is the case stick a pulley over there on power steering bracket, there not special, round metal-bolt-bearing ta-da haha obviously put a little more thought into it but you get the idea.

why not get a electric water pump too? then its just the alternator!!
Talk about freeing up some ponies........... each accessory sucks power from the engine........I bet with just an alternator the engine will feel like a rocket ship.... of course it will be hard to steer, but hey

could even put a under drive pulley on the alt (if they have one or make your own) then you will have every ounce possible free of that motor haha

A good rule of thumb on rerouting the belt: "The angular contact on each pulley must not be less than the OEM design."

Also, there must be a steering box designed for non-hydraulic-assist that will work in place of the oem part, maybe find cheap at junkyard. That would allow comfortable control of the vehicle, though with more rotations-per-turn.

Please post pics when done.

Smart you guys!! smart the early TTB rangers often came without power steering, the steering gear box would be the perfect match for this project... @RangerNutt is correct I have had a few of those trucks come through the shop....all manual rangers

Well that a new bit of info i didnt know about. Awesome!

Having owned a Ranger with manual steering... no thanks, never again.

I will never understand the reasoning behind "rip all the junk out to clean it up/save weight." It always turns into a hack job that nobody wants when you go to sell it. But, you do you.

Lol ur right I can see ur point I'll probably not like it we'll see.

Who said I was going to sell it? Imma rattle can this bad boy and throw a winch on it...maybe.pull a a bumper off a old train YOU know...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea looks like the ranger one is exact fit. Hmm thinking of just ordering a new one so I don't have to search around thanks alot u guys..

Back