• Register Today It's free!

bypassing stock amp

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
after all the installign i have done with a new head unit an amp sub and two other speakers I ran into the problem of the fact that the speakers are runnning through both the head unit's amp and the factory amp attached the the wiring harness. The aftermarket amp in back is run from the head unit with rca's. this has left me with lots of volume from the 4 speakers in the doors and a little bit of power/sound from the aftermarket amp. I was told that I need to bypass the factory amp. There is a harness available for this, but what else is needed to bypass it. It seems that I connect the adapter harness at the amp bypassing it, then need to run new wires up to the head unit and tap back into the speaker wires. Does this sound right, anyone know how to do this. I dont need to run wires to each individual speaker right?

this is on a 96 w/o premium audio but i think still has the factory amp

It's better to just run new speaker wires, since using the bypass harness makes the speaker signal go through thin wires meant for the factory head unit output to the amp. If you want to use the bypass harness though, just plug in the harness between both of the plugs that would go into the factory amp, and use an adapter plug to wire the speaker outputs from the new head unit to the factory speaker plug.

You might want to consider adding an aftermarket amp for the speakers, if you have one for the sub and amp. It's pretty easy to do, and if you get a small enough amp (20-25W RMS x 4), you can just use the factory wiring and basically just swap amps.

Back