C-4 adapted V-6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

C-4 adapted V-6

My Work Truck

Reaction score
I'm real new to boards so forgive any error's. I have a "88 Ranger Custom V-6 5spd. manual with a full utility bed It was my Work truck for years. The time has come to replace the clutch. Due to my Parkinsons disease my left leg is weak so I want to put a auto in, I would like to put a good ole fashion C-4 in. Is this posssible and is it practical, limited budget, and whats needed to do this?

Thanks for the help

Okay your 88 truck has the 2.9L V6
in 1984 and 1985 Ford built the ranger with the 2.8L V6 and whats called a C5 transmission. The C5 is a C4 internally, but has a bellhousing to fit the 2.8 (also 2.9L and 4.0L) engines.
The C5 also has a slip yoke output for 2wd and a tailhousing that works with the 5 bolt BW 1350 style transfer case if you are 4x4.

So what you want to do is locate a C5 transmission, then rebuild it using all the latest C4 updates and upgrades, plus whatever other modifications you want to make to it. As you likely know the C4 can be built into a very stout 3 speed unit.

To convert your 88 truck from 5 speed to automatic you will want to get the 84-90 style brake pedal assembly and a factory 3 position clutch switch bypass. this is a plastic plug that goes in the wiring harness where your current clutch pedal switch is located. Also grab the clutch firewall block of plate and bolts (my 88 BII went from 5 speed to auto years ago)

You will have to do some minor wiring to the transmission harness, hooking up the C4/5 to the trucks neautral safety and reverse sensors.
Your trans crossmember may move a bit, but this is usually very simple. If your Ranger has the rubber bushing style trans crossmember I would cut that sucker off and get the solid plate style crossmember.
The driveshaft/s will need to be rebuilt and adjusted for length when all is said and done.

You will also have to convert the back of your engine from a flywheel to a flexplate to accept the torque converter. The starter for any 84-90 Ranger or BII V6 should work , C5 or A4LD. Of course you will want to plumb in a transmission cooler and I would also get a 4.0L 91-94 Explorer style radiator with built in trans cooler, the 4.0L auto radiator will cool that 2.9L and trans really well, in line with a good trans cooler

Good luck!! The C4 conversion is a very popular way to go these days, alot of people even run them behind the newer Ford Sohc 4.0L in race trucks.

the C5 style bellhousing and tailhousing is getting to be a rare part, although I do believe places like Advance Adapters make a similar unit.
You can do a search for this topic on this forum as well, you are not the first to ask or go this route.

Back