c-clip eliminator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

c-clip eliminator

bilchap

Reaction score
City, State
south mountians of NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Just got thru reading some threads on front c-clip replacement with a spring on the axle.Looks like its been awhile since anybody has said anything about it.I was wondering how it has held up in the long run.Has anybody got anything new to add.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AFAIK, Tbars and myself are the most recent people to do the mod.

Lots of info and pictures etc in the sticky thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256302&highlight=c-clip

As for how long it will last etc.. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about it.

I believe Dannyboy has had this conversion for a long time, but IIRC he ran the internal spring and blew the dust cap off the axle. I don't remember if he ever switched to the external spring.

~Mark

I have had the spring in for 3 years-- wheel pretty hard, and go to CO once a year for a week. Works great so far.

thanks I'll be making this mod as soon as I get all my pieces.I already have the diff out.

c clip eliminator

i have had mine done for about a year now i have done some pretty crazy wheeling and have yet to have any problems. i just used a chevy 350 valve spring cut a coil and a half off and threw it on no problems with it. and it makes changing the u joint on that side easy if the u joint breaks.

I believe Dannyboy has had this conversion for a long time, but IIRC he ran the internal spring and blew the dust cap off the axle. I don't remember if he ever switched to the external spring.

~Mark

That was back in 2002. I ran it like that for some time, JB welded a big washer in place of the dust cap and it never gave me any issues.

LOL JB weld

I have been running a welded dust cap /spring in my axles since we built my TTB about 10 years ago... I have blown up two dust caps, both in Moab going fast down a wash road :) too much bump travel I guess

The first one was just tack welded on and it didnt hold long... the next one I welded almost all the way around and it held just fine, but the edge of the slip yoke was beat and it allowed the shaft to pull out at full droop... so I had to junk yard another good condition slip yoke and boot, now all is well again

If I had to do it over again I would use the external style spring retainer, much easier to adjust spring length and tension.. it took me several tries, a few different spring sizes and lengths to get myt setup to hold together under all conditions.. but now that it does, it is pretty much trouble free

FYI I run 35" MTZ's on a modified Dana 35 TTB with 4.10 Yukon gears and an ARB locker with a 275 HP v8 pushing it, I have blown up one ARB locker (questionable install), two u joints, wore out a pair of Warn hubs, and blown apart my slip yoke twice... thats it in 10+ years of wheeling the TTB

ttbspringseats.jpg

Back