• Register Today It's free!

c-clip eliminators

alvarez1112

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
Hello to all...first post here. Just wanted to know which c-clip eliminator kit is used for explorer 8.8's.... would it be the same as fox body's? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe so .. the 1.4" bearing journal.

I'm interested in this topic. lets get some info.

lets get some info.
There are a few bolt-on C-clip eliminators for the 8.8 but most would agree that these bolt-on designs do not take off-camber (side loading with large diameter tires) off-road situations very well where a good portion of the vehicle's weight is resting on only one C-clip eliminator. A better solution is to use weld-on Housing-End kits which typically then requires you to switch over to the big-bearing Ford-9" outers. But these units replace the 8.8's outer flanges with new ones (again from the 9" axle) that have a weld-on lip that is far stronger than the bolt-on solutions. DriveTrain Direct (http://www.drivetraindirect.com) sells such weld-on units but their website is under construction so you'll probably have to give them a call. A cheaper solution to prevent the axle from pulling out during axle-shaft failure is to switch over to a 2nd generation Explorer's rear axle which uses the disc brake's caliper and rotor to retain the axle shaf in case of failure -- allowing you to limp the rig out of the trail.

This must be why you never hear about c clip eliminators for the 8.8. How much is that kit from drivetraindirect about?

Well 8.8 C-clip eliminators are out there -- popular in the street scene but not so much in the off-road scene 'cauz thats just not what they are designed for.

I have no idea exactly how much the DrivetrainDirect kit costs but most weld-on axle Housing-End kits run around $250 (new flanges, bearings, retainers, bolts).

thanks for the info, and good call on the 2nd gen rear. The rear is going in a street/strip s-10 so the disc's will be a good addition either way

8.8 c clip elems

Yep there out there all right

Coming from the drag racing sence there required for any 8.8 rear end vehicle running faster than 9.80 or maybe it was 10's in the 1/4. I had them on my old stang. they were required instead of the c clips beause if you snaped an axle the c clip setup would alow the axle to extend from the housing or worse yet come all the way out of the housing. it doesn't take much to snap the axles in an 8.8 I replaced mine with the Moser 35 spline setup others are available as well.

The c clip elmins just keep the axle from protuding from the housong if one should break or you somehow break the pinion gear and it all falls inside teh diff.

The better setup is using a 9 inch rear end or the already mentioned 9 inch plates welded to the 8.8 housing.

Both Curie and Mark Williams make great aftermarket setups with the 9in housing for use in other vehicles inwhich they were not installed originally.

I ran the clips with a full spool and 35 spline axles on the old stang for 2.5 years and never once had a problem with that setup. some people complain when using the c clip elimns that they have diff oil leakage problems . that is due to them not making a even deburred cut on the plates which is needed to remove the space inwhich the c clip elimn plates is bolted to the backing plate and then using a good sealant on them.

I wouldn't use the C clip elimns on a vehicle which see's more off road usage I would instead use the 9 in adapter or better yet swap out the 8.8 for a 9 to begin with.

BTW I've seen the stock 8.8 30 spline axles get snap using drag radials on a sticky track with less than 300 rwhp..

hope that helps out

use the Super 88 kit from moser this kit gives you better axles and eliminates the c-clips and seems like it is about 500 dollars

Back