c4 users please check

deathbypsi

Reaction score
City, State
Lambertville Mich
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 B2
2.9/4.0 C4 users come in here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys Im looking for some input from anyone that is using a c4 behind a 2.9 or a 4.0

I have a read a few online articles off different forums about swapping a4lds for c4's but one common thing i keep running into is correct info on what converter to use.

Let me back up a sec...I have a 90 B2 that is lifted and has a 2.9/a4ld combo now and both work fine still.However I plan to swap in a 4.0 this summer and want to get rid of the a4ld due to its weakness.I have a 2.8 c5 bellhousing and tailhousing to use with a built c4 out of my old 70 Torino. I have asked around on a few sites about what converter to use and get some people saying use the stock 2.8 c5 converter and other saying use a 4.0/5r converter and some even say there is no converter that will work and still be drivable. Now I know for a fact I have seen Rangers at the drag strip with 4.0/c4 combos running so whats the deal?

I would like to do the trans swap before the motor swap because my 2.9 is a strong runner and I want to take time this spring building a solid 250hp 4.0 if I can. I really dont trust taking the truck on any serious off road trips due to being afraid the a4ld will die and leave me stranded. So i would like to know if its possible to build one trans and converter combo that will work with both motors so I dont have to buy two converters or wait and do both swaps at the same time.

Thanks for any help you can give!

I am running a c-4 short shaft behind a 4.0 using the stock 4.0 converter
The short shaft is a c-5 tailhousing due to the fact it is going into a Samurai.

Which trans did your converter come from? Do you drive it on the street at all?

Back