• Register Today It's free!

Cab ideas

wrigley_1285

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
my explorer is no longer my daily driver since i bought my new f150. it's pretty much an off road rig that only get drivin around town every once and a while. i was thinking about completely ditching the body of my ex and trying to throw on a 98+ ranger ext cab and i'll probably use the front clip also since i don't think the cab and doors of the ranger would line up very well with my explorer. but anyways i'm just wanting to get some ideas from you guys. on a side note i've tried searching but couldn't find any threads with this done. i know i've seen it done with BII's and i know i've seen front end swaps. but i want to ditch the big heavy body of my ex and have just an ext cab.

here's some of the questions i've been asking myself.
-will the body mounts be in the same location for an ext cab/reg cab
-will an ext cab be too long for my sport wheelbase
-what ranger componets will i have to use instead of my ex parts(radiator, steering, etc)
-what will i have to do to keep it street legal(title,rear wheel fenders/covers, etc.)

those are just a few things that i've began to think of for now. but i'm more that willing to listen to ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone have some input

it's Ranger based so i would think there are many parts that cross over,,
it would seem a tape measure would be you friend , measure as many of the parts as you can to see if they fit,,

the only other thing you can do is make your own mounts. it has been done (i've put a 49 chevy body on to a s10 frame years ago). as for being street legal, thats another thing. you would have a ranger cab on a explorer frame. how would you insure that, i wouldnt know. you would have to check your local laws on that one.

i've been meaning to go out to the junkyard and take some measurements but i won't be able to at all this week since i'm watching my friends' 1 year old. i don't think she'd be too happy about that. my buddy would probably find it awesome if i took some pics

i'm guessing that they would go off the VIN on the cab. but maybe i can get ahold of someone at the DMV to help me out. i just hate getting the run around with them.

btw has anyone seen any threads with what i'm trying to do all ready done?

Back