• Register Today It's free!

Cab lights

Psychotical

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Sport Trac
So was wondering if anyone with a sport trac has installed any dot cab lights, I've seen them on several explorers but not a sport trac, bought a quick kit at harbor freight and I was going to install them on mine, make it look like a miniature version of my f450 work truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the tip, yeah they're not led just some cheap $10 set I've seen highly recommended

IMG_20150530_212005_zpspluf0n84.jpg
"]
IMG_20150530_212005_zpspluf0n84.jpg
[/URL]

I was under the impression that if your vehicle was wider than 80" then they were required....never saw anything saying that you were not permitted to run them if you were less than 80" wide.

There isn't anything against them, at least in my state

Got to love laws, their interpretation, and their enforcement.

If you've ever pulled a flatbed car trailer that is over 80 inches wide, as most of them are, TECHNICALLY you were required to have these cab lights. Yep. For hire commercially or just some Joe hauling air, across town or across the country. 80 inches wide or more is the key.

Clearance lights are the single red or amber lights placed on the furthest outside edge of either side of the vehicle. You see these on dually 1-ton truck fenders. The triple, center mounted red or amber lights are called ID or identification lights. They, as the name implies, identify the vehicle as being 80 inches wide or more. Tractor + trailer(s) = vehicle.

Any vehicle over 80 inches wide are required to have this lighting - ID and clearance, the set of 5. My double jet ski trailer is 84 inches wide, fender to fender. On it I have the 3 red rear-facing ID lights & each fender has red and amber clearance lights. To be "legal" while towing it, the towing vehicle would be required to have front facing triple amber ID lights. Which I do not have, yet I am over 80 inches wide while towing it.

I'd say these cab lights do not imply a vehicle over 80 inches wide, but suggests potentially over 80" with a trailer. Either way, you've got to be doing something really stupid to attract DOT & law enforcement attention to get stopped on having (or not having) these lights.

Back