Cabin air filter air flow direction? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Cabin air filter air flow direction?

Atxjmy512

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
I have a 2018 Explorer. I just replaced the CAF - what I presume was the original factory filter (I bought the car previously owned). The previous filter’s air flow direction arrow was pointing up, so that’s what I did as well. However I’ve since gone down a YouTube rat hole and seeing some conflicting info. I’m now unsure of my direction choice. Any thoughts on correct direction?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I would think that the airflow should be up from the blower and through the filter. That makes sense to me.

Peter

<

bbwb

Reaction score
City, State
NE Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
No, arrow should be down as the fresh air is from the cowl area, down through the filter then to the fan and coils for heating or cooling.
Robert

<

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
No, arrow should be down as the fresh air is from the cowl area, down through the filter then to the fan and coils for heating or cooling.
Robert
In a duplicate thread (deleted) he mentioned he felt the air from the blower moving upwards.

Peter

<

bbwb

Reaction score
City, State
NE Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
The air flow is down. If it were the other way, how does the debris end up on the top side of the filter? The debris is filtered before it gets to the fan and the coils..

<

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
The air flow is down. If it were the other way, how does the debris end up on the top side of the filter? The debris is filtered before it gets to the fan and the coils..
I'm only repeating what the OP mentioned, that he felt the air from the blower moving upwards. I let the dealer do all my maintenance so I really don't know. I just read the Manual and it does seem that the air moves in a downward direction. BTW, I never have my vehicles long enough to have that filter changed. :)

Peter

<

Atxjmy512

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
Appeciate the input. Both make sense to me. I did feel wind blowing upward, but then again I’ve never seen another car with the filter pointing up for the reasons pointed out. Looks like I’m taking it apart again.

Any clue why so many factory installed filters are pointing up?

<

Michael Blackburn

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited 4WD
Because if you look at the filter there is very little or no difference between the sides. And the $50 an hour auto assemblers have better things to do than look at the little arrow when they slap the filter into the box. /sarcasm

Fritz

<

DogRunner2

Reaction score
City, State
Mineral City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT
Arrow pointed down in both my wife's Liberty and my Explorer.

<