Cabin Air Filter Replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cabin Air Filter Replacement

maybe someone know a alternative part number for the air filter (Cabin (with carbon?) and engine)?

I Germany i had to import the air filter and cabin filter from the US (20$ the two filters and 40$ send and customs)... the last i bough on my visit in the USA :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe someone know a alternative part number for the air filter (Cabin (with carbon?) and engine)?

I Germany i had to import the air filter and cabin filter from the US (20$ the two filters and 40$ send and customs)... the last i bough on my visit in the USA :)

I'm looking around amazon.de and it won't pull anything for a 2013 Explorer Innenraumluftfilter. According to amazon no Explorer was sold in Germany so it doesn't show an interchange.

I'm thinking you will have to import all filters in unless there is another vehicle sold in Germany that uses it (US interchange shows ford flex, taurus, MKT and MKS as being interchangeable).

Have you looked at Russian sites? (Explorer's are sold there) Maybe cheaper.

Also have you thought about buying bulk? Like 10 filters at a time? That would say the shipping costs.

Glad to hear that this didn't change for 2016, I didn't think it would. Even my previous KIA was done this way. Takes longer to empty the glove box than change the filter.

Well this poses an interesting question. What about folks who DON'T have a cabin air filter. None on my '98. Do my lungs look like that!?? :fart:

I have to say, I changed mine with my last oil change an engine air intake filter change, I was surprised of how much dirt and stuff it cleans out. Good thing I searched in rockauto site, they where selling filters with a carbon lining in it, now every time I or my kids fart in the vehicle the smell does not linger too long, and it keeps the car smelling like new... Happy camper with my 2012 explorer La ExploraDora!!! FYI does anyone know why would a engine filter be covered in oil? Ever since I did the change I've been scratching my head trying to figure out this issue.

I have to say, I changed mine with my last oil change an engine air intake filter change, I was surprised of how much dirt and stuff it cleans out. Good thing I searched in rockauto site, they where selling filters with a carbon lining in it, now every time I or my kids fart in the vehicle the smell does not linger too long, and it keeps the car smelling like new... Happy camper with my 2012 explorer La ExploraDora!!! FYI does anyone know why would a engine filter be covered in oil? Ever since I did the change I've been scratching my head trying to figure out this issue.
Looks like you need to replace the valve cover. There is a thread on this problem; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/oil-found-in-air-filter.348388/

Peter

Nothing like HiJacking a thread in the middle of a discussion

My F150 doesn't even have a cabin air filter.

Cabin air filters became sort of common some time around 2004 and beyond.

I had gone through this thread prior to changing my cabin filter and watched the video in Post #7. I have to say I think the video is making this easy fix more difficult for folks to do this job. I was able to do this without messing with the white clips or having to completely disconnect the glove box from the dash.

1) After clearing out my glove box, there are two fingers up high inside the glove box that limit how far it is allowed to drop. I pushed up on them gently to allow the back of the glove box to clear them.
2) This then allowed me easier access to the tether cord on the right side of the glove box. This easily disconnects by un-slotting the plastic hook that the string hooks into from the side of the glove box.
3) The glove box can then be lowered down to allow easy access to the cabin air filter.

glove box 1.png
glove box 2.png
glove box 3.png

That's where it's located, this is the first vehicle i've had to actually remove the glove box to replace the filter. There are 2 hindge ins that were a huge PITA to get out, one of mine had twisted so that one of the ears wouldn't let the pin slide out.

Here is a youtube I found that walks through it, takes probably 5 minutes if you don't have any issues.

While accessing the cabin air filter on my wife's 2014 Explorer, the right hand hinge broke in half, and so that side of the glove box dropped. The only way I could see getting it back in place was to remove both of the hinge pins - which in itself was a real pain. Glued the hinge back, and now I can't figure out how to get the hinge pins back in place - there's just no room to maneuver them into place once the glove box is in place. Hate to have go to the dealer just to put it back in, so I'm looking for any help.

Thanks

True, but you have to clean it.

Payback will be something along the lines of 6 changes of a stock style filter. 6 stock filters(@ $6.50 a piece) and each one lasting at least 2 years = 12 years for payback.

That's assuming the cleaning kit is included, if not, tack on a few more filter changes for the $12.99 cleaning/recharge kit.

I have K&N filters in my truck intake, cabin, and the Explorer intake and cabin. I don't know where you get them lasting 2 years, I clean mine every 6 months. The cleaning kit is not included however the cabin filter is a rinse only filter, no oil or cleaning solution needed like the intake filters. A cleaning kit is available but the directions that come with it say you can just rinse it with water. So for me, a person that buys a car to own it for a long time, its worth it.

Waste, just like the obsession over the air filter.

Don't know how it's a waste, I never have to go to the store to buy one again, I'm not throwing away a filter in the trash every 6 months, and it filters better than the stock paper one. No cleaning kit required, where is the down side???

I had gone through this thread prior to changing my cabin filter and watched the video in Post #7. I have to say I think the video is making this easy fix more difficult for folks to do this job. I was able to do this without messing with the white clips or having to completely disconnect the glove box from the dash.

1) After clearing out my glove box, there are two fingers up high inside the glove box that limit how far it is allowed to drop. I pushed up on them gently to allow the back of the glove box to clear them.
2) This then allowed me easier access to the tether cord on the right side of the glove box. This easily disconnects by un-slotting the plastic hook that the string hooks into from the side of the glove box.
3) The glove box can then be lowered down to allow easy access to the cabin air filter.

View attachment 91335 View attachment 91336 View attachment 91337

I wanted to bump this thread for people with their 2015 or 2016 explorers that haven't done this and replaced that filter. If you have a year or more on your car and you've not done it - get out there and buy you a filter.

well well worth it. our 16 had started to smell after I had washed the car - I knew the filter was a year old and it was overdue. 17 dollars I think was the cost for a wix brand device - might be less

THis post was fantastic very helpful but I want to add one thing. for those of us with girthy hands - getting the damn cable off was a touch of a pain - but mine also shot up into the dash because I didn't have a firm hold on it. So tip 1- if you have a small screw driver, or something to stick in the loop - such that it can slow, stop the cord from going into the cavern that is the dash board.

tip 2 - if your car is new that secondary door is just tight as hell and again if you have girthy hands the one clip might become hard to get your finger in behind. either a long screwdriver might help or in my case I used a set of bent- nose pliers to get the one tab.

after doing the job and with the door coming off once in it's life - I tried a second go and it was much easier. just an FYI

FYI, my experience with the cabin filter was a little different (regarding replacement interval ). I replaced mine at 2 years 5 months and about 45k miles and it was barely dirty. I didn't have any smells or anything, but it has been garaged all its life. Probably could have gone another year without needing a replacement. A little different than my old Mazda6 that was full of crap after a couple years.

Side note, changed the engine air filter at the same time and totally a waste of money. I bet I could have gone another couple years before there was a significant performance degredation.

FYI, my experience with the cabin filter was a little different (regarding replacement interval ). I replaced mine at 2 years 5 months and about 45k miles and it was barely dirty. I didn't have any smells or anything, but it has been garaged all its life. Probably could have gone another year without needing a replacement. A little different than my old Mazda6 that was full of crap after a couple years.

Side note, changed the engine air filter at the same time and totally a waste of money. I bet I could have gone another couple years before there was a significant performance degredation.
being in MN you probably have less crap in the air for longer in the year. i mean with 6 ft of snow there is probably no dirt, sand, or pollen in the air

needs a smiley

we went 16 months and 31K miles

Just replaced my cabin air filter. Yes, it is a pain in the butt removing the hinge pin closest to the passenger door, but it's required as the glove box doesn't lower enough like the pic in post #32. With the glovebox out of the way the filter was a breeze to change out. I reinstalled the glove box without the hinge pins, left those sitting in the glovebox. The hinge is secure enough without the pins. After 20 months and 35,000 KM the filter had only a few bits of debris.

I just replaced my cabin air filter and getting the hinge pins out was a real pain. The only thing worse was trying to get them back in. Any issues with leaving the hinge pins out?

I just replaced my cabin air filter and getting the hinge pins out was a real pain. The only thing worse was trying to get them back in. Any issues with leaving the hinge pins out?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Don't really know the answer to your question but I'm sure some members will chime in.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read the post before yours for the answer.

Back