cabin air filter | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

cabin air filter

idrojdpj

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4 door 4x4
I want to find out if there is a cabin air filter on my '97 X. I've done a search but did not get what I was looking for. My problem is a very bad moldy smell when I turn on my a/c after my truck has been sitting for a few hours. I have used the cleaner kit to clean my a/c coils but that gets exspensive at $25 per can. What do ya'll suggest for cleaning and is there a cabin filter?

Thanks
DJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
how long does the smell last for? If it's under 30 seconds or so that's normal.

SWLathrop

Reaction score
City, State
Yorkshire,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 & 02 Stang, 94 Sable
The is no CABIN AIR FILTER on the X's. Also, even if there was, the filter only filters out dirt. It doesn't stop the growth of mildew on your A/C evaperator. As far as the cleaner goes, just use LYSOL. It's cheaper and actually works better than the FORD cleaner or Frigi-Fresh.

idrojdpj

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4 door 4x4
Thanks guys. I have used the DWD2 cleaning system can I use the lysol the same way I would use the DWD2 method?

GR899V8

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon City, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited V8 4WD
I was told I have a cabin filter, but have never been able to find it. They said under the cowling cover, but I've removed it and can't see one.

Jon_Herr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford F150 FX4
No filter

There is no filter - but Ford is aware of the problem.

If you can find it there's a TSB related to a timer circuit that runs the blower motor for a couple of minutes after the truck is turned off.

This is supposed to dry out the A/C so mildew cannot grow.

Jon

frj00

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport 4wd 4.0 SOHC
I have the same problem on my 99 sport, no filter but where can I get the spray stuff

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
BG makes an A/C system cleaner. It is about $20 a can tho. I have only seen it at garages also. I am sure you can get it online somewhere.

Robb