• Register Today It's free!

cabin air filter

idrojdpj

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4 door 4x4
I want to find out if there is a cabin air filter on my '97 X. I've done a search but did not get what I was looking for. My problem is a very bad moldy smell when I turn on my a/c after my truck has been sitting for a few hours. I have used the cleaner kit to clean my a/c coils but that gets exspensive at $25 per can. What do ya'll suggest for cleaning and is there a cabin filter?

Thanks
DJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how long does the smell last for? If it's under 30 seconds or so that's normal.

The is no CABIN AIR FILTER on the X's. Also, even if there was, the filter only filters out dirt. It doesn't stop the growth of mildew on your A/C evaperator. As far as the cleaner goes, just use LYSOL. It's cheaper and actually works better than the FORD cleaner or Frigi-Fresh.

Thanks guys. I have used the DWD2 cleaning system can I use the lysol the same way I would use the DWD2 method?

I was told I have a cabin filter, but have never been able to find it. They said under the cowling cover, but I've removed it and can't see one.

No filter

There is no filter - but Ford is aware of the problem.

If you can find it there's a TSB related to a timer circuit that runs the blower motor for a couple of minutes after the truck is turned off.

This is supposed to dry out the A/C so mildew cannot grow.

Jon

I have the same problem on my 99 sport, no filter but where can I get the spray stuff

BG makes an A/C system cleaner. It is about $20 a can tho. I have only seen it at garages also. I am sure you can get it online somewhere.

Robb

Back