Cabin noise level | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cabin noise level

cnsheets

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explemoner
I previously had occasional windnoise as most have. After my A-pillars were replaced per TSB, I now have constant wind noise that the dealer has acknowledged but is not sure how to fix. This wind noise is pretty substantial in my opinion and I have to turn the radio up to try and drown it out.

Others have reported that after getting the A-pillars TSB completed that their cabin is silent and is the quietest vehicle they have owned.

My question, how quiet is the cabin of your explorer really?

Has anyone taken noise level readings? I actually did and @ 40+ MPH my cabin noise level is 65-70db and increases with speed. This is actually the noisiest vehicle I have ever owned. My 12yr old Camry with 350K miles on it was quieter inside at the same speeds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The numbers you posted seem on the high side. I can't remember which auto mag online I was reading, but it gave dB measurements for idle, cruise @ 70 (I think), and full throttle.

Lemme see if I can find it... ah, here we go:

From Edmunds Insideline Review:

At 70 mph on the highway, the Explorer is quiet and smooth, its engine loafing at 2,000 rpm. The return is a low 65-decibel noise level that's on par with some luxury sedans. The engine isn't so wonderful during passing maneuvers, however, as its note grows coarse as the tach needle swings toward the 6,500-rpm redline.

From Edmunds Inside Line Blog:

2012 Ford Explorer XLT EcoBoost: dB @ Idle: 42.6 Db @ Full Throttle: 69.3 Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 62.6

Edmunds again:

This time a V6 model:

Sound level @ idle (dB) 40.5
@ Full throttle (dB) 73.1
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 65.0

Thanks Vince. Atleast the dealership acknowledged what I am hearing as not being normal, they just don't have a fix. They said they were talking to Ford. Its been 3 days and I have not heard from them yet. And to be clear, this noise is not tire/road noise. Its clearly coming from the windshield area.

Thanks Vince. Atleast the dealership acknowledged what I am hearing as not being normal, they just don't have a fix. They said they were talking to Ford. Its been 3 days and I have not heard from them yet. And to be clear, this noise is not tire/road noise. Its clearly coming from the windshield area.
Mine is fairly quiet. It sounds like you may have a 'sealing' problem somewhere either with the 'A' pillars or the windshield itself.

Peter

Mine is fairly quiet. It sounds like you may have a 'sealing' problem somewhere either with the 'A' pillars or the windshield itself.

Peter

Thats my thought as well.

Mine had wind noise driving over 100km. It get wors with speed and wind ( not whistle and not rattle) it is not very loud but it is there. I noticed this also when i test drived one before ordering. This my first new car so i couldn't really compare. I will try electrcal tape and see if it makes any different.

My Explorer is also very quiet, enough so that I don't consider it as a problem or any concern. It maybe a tiny bit noisier than my Honda ridgeline, but the ridgeline did not have a sun/moon roof nor a luggage rack.

I agree with the replies here - super quiet. I have noticed though that even the smallest piece of ice disrupting the airflow even a tiny amount increases the windnoise dramatically! I'd have them check the smoothness of all of the window seals and gaskets. On mine, this is especially true on the front moonroof. ANY slight debris is seriously audible. But I live in AK and ice is a fact of life sometimes so I'm not complaining. Lol.

Back