California Emiisions vs. Mods. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

California Emiisions vs. Mods.

REDDOG

Reaction score
Interested in hearing from other California Explorers about mods vs. emission laws.

Filter Box:KKM, K&N, Drilled, etc.-I have heard different sides to these options here in Cal. A friend has a Jeep with a K&N conical filter that has been altered. He extended the filter out with 4" pvc, has plenty of room, and taped in his vacuum & emission lines. He passes emission tests with no problems. Other explorer owners have gone in with drilled air boxes and do not pass visual part of test. What are your experiences?

Larger MAF & TB - Any body have problems with these being upgraded to larger?

Headers or larger exhaust - Any body have problems with these being upgraded?

------------------
REDDOG
94 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Stock, Stock, Stock

Reddog, here's my thoughts. MOST of the time, when you modify your intake, it will not pass the visual. You will, however, find some smog places staffed with people who either are just don't know what your intake should look like, or don't care. An airbox full of holes usually will fail you. I have a KKM on, but will not go to smog for another year or so, so I can't tell you if I'll pass. I'll try though....

I also have a larger MAF and TB, with no reported problems. Although, my check engine light came on yesterday....damn.

Tyson
Bigger MAF & TB? Why did you go that route over headers? Convenience?

Any problems with EFI or engine lights?

How are you O2 sensors holding up?

What MAF & TB did you go with? How much of a impact? Did you replace the connection between the TB and intake manifold or stock?

Have you considered headers? What type?

I drilled out the air box with K&N filter, big difference. I will pick up a new box for emissions.

------------------
REDDOG
94 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Stock, Stock, Stock

Back