• Register Today It's free!

california legal cold air intake?

stephenmgd

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Limite
Through hours of searching, I have not been able to find a California compliant/legal cold air intake system. Has anyone found anything yet? Anything in the works from k&n airraid, etc?? If not, any suggestions on a ghetto mod for increase HP and fuel efficiency? I hate living in this state, if it wasn't for the beachesand great weather I would leave.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Through hours of searching, I have not been able to find a California compliant/legal cold air intake system. Has anyone found anything yet? Anything in the works from k&n airraid, etc?? If not, any suggestions on a ghetto mod for increase HP and fuel efficiency? I hate living in this state, if it wasn't for the beachesand great weather I would leave.

Getting intakes approved by CARB and registered with an EO number can take 10 to 12 months, and must be done each model year of the vehicle (regardless if the intake is the same between model years). So for your 2014, there's almost zero chance that any intake has passed CARB and been assigned an EO yet.

That being said, to swap intakes w/ the stock is a 20 to 30 minute job, so you could safely drive w/ an intake, and then use the stock box if you ever needed to get it tested or pass smog (though you won't need to do this before 2018 on your car, so by then an EO number may be available for the intake you purchase).

Outside of some DUI checkpoints in Orange County, I've never heard of a cop writing a ticket for an intake with no EO number, but your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the info.

California is the leading state in automotive emission standards, I highly doubt any are legal.

Airiad CAI is Cali legal and comes with a C.A.R.B E.O. #d-609-7 sticker.

..i do see an earlier model Explorer under that E.O. number but do you have the part number that covers the 2014 Explorer under that E.O. number?

Back