Caliper Bracket bolts came loose and now brake light won't turn off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Caliper Bracket bolts came loose and now brake light won't turn off

beach

Reaction score
City, State
south florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
Coyote F150
Ahhh the notorious caliper bolts coming loose. So for a few days had weird popping sounds when braking and then almost a jamming feeling when in reverse. Passenger side brake top bracket bolt came out and bottom bolt was loose, bought new bolts and torqued to 80ft lbs. Caliper scrapped up inside of my wheel nicely but guess I got lucky as I've seen pics where it destroyed the rim.

No problems braking, but the light on dash won't go off now, everything seems fine and fluid isn't low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brake light? If it's not low fluid may be worn pads.

Pads are less than a year old, nice ceramic pads too, not cheap store crap lol. I'll check the e-brake this weekend.

Ahhh the notorious caliper bolts coming loose. So for a few days had weird popping sounds when braking and then almost a jamming feeling when in reverse. Passenger side brake top bracket bolt came out and bottom bolt was loose, bought new bolts and torqued to 80ft lbs. Caliper scrapped up inside of my wheel nicely but guess I got lucky as I've seen pics where it destroyed the rim.

No problems braking, but the light on dash won't go off now, everything seems fine and fluid isn't low.

80 ft lbs for the caliper bolts? And they didn't snap off? Are you talking about the caliper bracket mounting bolts? I think the spec is something like 30 ft lbs. I use blue Loctite and torque them to 35 ft lbs and have never had one come lose. The bracket bolts are around 80 ft lbs, and I use red Loctite on them.

According to a Google search torques are as follows...

Front disc
Torque Specifications Description lb-ft
Brake hose bolt 26
Front disc brake caliper support bracket bolts 83
Disc brake caliper bolts 24
Caliper bleeder screw, front 15

Rear disc
Brake caliper bolts 24
Caliper flow bolt 24
Brake disc shield bolts 10
Caliper bleeder screw, rear 15

Wheel nuts 100

Disregard. Worn pads can cause low fluid. Also check the brake reservoir float and sender connector.

Yeah it was the bracket bolts, the top one was gone, bottom was still there but loose. New ones come with red locker on the threads.

Back