Caliper Pin Issue

tdkd99

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello Everyone,

I have a issue with the lower caliper pin on the passenger side of my 93 explorer. For some reason, it keeps working itself out towards the inside of the truck. The first time I noticed it, I tapped it back into position but when I looked a few days later, it had backed out again. I then replaced both pins with new ones thinking they were just worn out, but the same lower pin again backed out of its position. I also tried replacing the caliper thinking that could be the issue but the same thing keeps happening.

Any idea whats going on here? I've searched the forum and I could not find anything on this.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you adding brake caliper lube to the pin? That might help the caliper slide on the pin rather than push it.

Yes, I covered it in caliper grease when I installed it. Perhaps it is too slick? Another thought, could a warped rotor cause it to work its way out? I don't have the typical shaking you get with one but somtimes as I come to stop, the truck does a lungeing type motion. Not bad though.

Thanks!

Make sure when you put those pins in, that the tabs on the upper pin face up and the tabs on the lower pin face down...had that issue once, turns out it was just an installment error on my part...

Here's a pic I found on Google....you can see the small tabs I was talking about...

bjpinngreaselrg.jpg

^^ I agree, make sure the pins are right.

The only time you use too much lube is if it's running/gooping out onto the caliper or rotor. Liberally coat the slide and the V-shaped grooves the slide goes in.

That's more than likely my problem. I'll get some more pins and try it again.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Back