• Register Today It's free!

caliper slide pins?

Bandido

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI sometimes Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I think one of my brake caliper slide pins in the front is stuck, I was trying to compress it when I was changing the brake pads and it only wanted to move to a certain point. Also my old pads were worn unevenly!

Where can I buy those and what are they called? Is the installation difficult? Is there anything I need to pay attention to, if it is stuck and I need to force it out?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, I just tried to get the lower one out and it is not moving at all!!! I tried to spray a little bit Pb Blaster into the boot, I tried hammering it out and I tried rotating it with vice grips!!, Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get those out????
please, help, I need to get my truck driveable again!!

Ok... Let's start at the beginning.

You have a first gen Explorer -- right? If so, there are two "pins" that hold the calipers in place. Roughly diamond shape, they are steel with a rubber insert that gives them some springiness and holds them into place.

They drive in and out with either a special tool designed for the job, or if you are careful, with a large screwdriver.

If you look carefully at each end of those pins, you will note that there is a slight raised bump that holds against the cast iron of the brake caliper. This is to stop the pins from walking in and out on their own while braking. In order to remove them you must first get those little raised edges inside the bore. Typically, if using a screwdriver to drive the pins out, you would place the edge of the screwdriver perpendicular to the edge of the brake caliper pin at around a 30 degree angle or so, then gently tap with a hammer or mallet to begin driving the pin through its bore to the other side. Do the same on the other side.

Once the pin is starting out through the bore, just stick the screwdriver across both sides of the METAL part of the pin (not in the center into the rubber part!) you can easily drive the pin right out the back. I've never seen them stick so badly that they cannot be driven out with relative ease, and I've done around 200 Ford brake jobs in the past 20 years or so (the pins are common on almost all Ford truck products).

After removing both pins, the caliper itself will slide out of the caliper bracket, but note that it must slide out straight! If you get it ****ed sideways a bit, it will fight all the way. Generally, they tap right out with a soft-faced mallet.

Now, wire brush all the rust off of everything in preparation for re-assembly. You will want to use some white lithium grease on the sliding parts of the caliper assembly before re-assembly. That means on the places where the caliper slides on the bracket and where the pins slide through their bores. (Note that the pins are not exactly the same -- there is a top and bottom. The bores match this difference in size -- make sure that you line them up correctly before driving them back in.)

You can drive the pins back in from the front. Simply tap them with a small hammer until they hit those little stops.

Now...

From all of the work I've done on Ford brake systems, I would suggest that the caliper PINS are rarely the problem with sticky front brakes. Generally, that is the caliper itself, sticking in the bore. The easiest cure for that is to replace the entire caliper. Especially if you do not have specialty tools to rebuild calipers! Sometimes, however, the reason that the calipers are sticking is simply because the brake pads have worn so much that they are sticking way out in their bores. If that is the case, new pads will cure the sticking because the calipers are driven back into their bores before installing the new brake pads.

You can easily drive the calipers back into their bores in one of two ways. The first involves a tool for the job -- it sort of looks like a brake pad with a screw and a handle through the middle. They sell for under $10 at auto parts stores. Just remove the pads, stick the tool into the caliper bore (or sometimes against an old pad, using the pad to push against the caliper itself so that the tool doesn't have to go all the way to the bottom of the hole in the center of the caliper) crank in the tool and SLOWLY compress the caliper.

The other way uses either a large set of channel locks or a C-clamp -- do the same thing as above. (Note that you will be forcing brake fluid back into the master cylinder when you do this operation, so don't rush it. Just take it at a hand turn speed and compress the caliper all the way into its bore. You may have some excess brake fluid come out the top of the master cylinder -- that is normal if it is full to the top before you start the process. Just use some brake clean spray to clean up the mess so it doesn't start corroding the metal where it leaked.)

After you compress the calipers, install the new pads, clean everything with brake cleaner spray (grease causes hot spots, which in turn warp rotors) and re-assemble the calipers to the brackets. If you did everything as above, without removing any brake lines or opening any bleeder screws, you will not even have to bleed the system.

Let me know if this helps.

glfredrick he's got a 98 so it's a second generation. I have had a pin stuck on my 2000. A lot of twisting with vice grips, some pounding etc. and I finally got it out. If you don't tear up the rubber boot getting it out it should be ok. Most of the corrosion will get cleaned off when you are twisting it. Just lube it up well with caliper grease and re use it.

man, that was a great explanation!! but unfortunately mwking is right, I got a 98! I already tried wiggling it with ivce grips like crazy, I tried to pound it out and it won't move at all!!!
any other suggestions?

I assume you have the bracket off. If not, I would take it off by removing the 2 bolts on the back side. Lay it on the bench, pull the boot back and fill it with the best stuff you have (Kroil is awesome, if you have it). Let it sit and soak in for a while and then go back to the vice grips and hammer. Worst case, you may have to buy a new one.

homer,
buy a new one... Well, the pin is toast from beating at it already anyway, now I am that far that I only need to find a way to get it out!!#*&!%#(^!@%#

I wonder where I can take the bracket with the pin? Could I just take it to a machine shop or a tuffy's? And then I gotta find a place which is open on Sun!!

You could try a little heat, but I would be afraid of warping it and having more guide pin problems (not to mention fire, now). It is a pretty tight pin fit. Obviously you would have to pull the rubber boot. I was talking about replacing the entire bracket, not just the pin. For the price of a new one with pins and hardware ($35) it doesn't seem worth it to go to a machine shop. It seems like drilling that pin out without damaging the race would be pretty tricky.

I'm not sure if Autozone carries them but here's a place online:

http://www.shop.com/op/~Dorman_Brake_Caliper_Bracket_Ford_Explorer_2002_95-prod-26352805?buy=9

wow, where do you find stuff like that??? I was looking for about an hour onb google etc. to even find those pins!!!
I guess that's what I am end up doing then... I tried some more today, but there's no way of getting that little ******* out of there!

There is always the local pic-a-part... But new is cheap in this case. Hope some first gen dude can use my explanaion on the caliper pins.

ok, I got the caliper brkt for $15 Bucks at Advanced Auto parts, the Slide Pin at Murray's for $9 and now I am hoping to get the boot and rattle brkt for 7.50 at Napa. Dude, I am driving all over the place and especially since the AAP are the only ones to have the brkt and you have to come in to order it, and now I gotta go again and pick it up! But one-day delivery on a holiday is pretty good!

For future reference, if a caliper sticks at all, it's much wiser to replace the whole caliper with a rebuilt unit. They are relatively dirt cheap. If any of the hardware is need, change that also. Look at both sides, if one side does that, it is likely that the other side will at some time in the future. If at all possible, do brakes in pairs. Good luck,

Back